Saturday, May 16, 2009

Exceeded Our Expectations

Our Grand Canyon trip exceeded our expectations. We're home and back to busy schedules. Julie is in Texas visiting her family and I'm trying to squeeze in an inopportune task. I'll write about our trip later in the week. Until then, here are a few photos.

Taking a break in the shade.
Julie taking a break in the shade at a switchback in the trail. She looks cool and relaxed in spite of a temperature of 100 degrees and having descended 4,000 feet in seven miles. Looks are deceiving. (Larger version)


Julie climbing the Clear Creek trail.
Julie climbing the Clear Creek trail on a search for a camp site for the night. (Larger version)


Camp site on the plateau.
A bad pre-sunrise photo of our camp site on the plateau. The tent is the small grey spot in the bottom center. The stars and moonlight on the landscape were unforgettable! (Larger version)


Sunrise on the canyon and plateau.
Sunrise on the canyon and plateau as we prepare to pack for the day and leave to escape the sun. (Larger version)


The boat beach near Phantom Ranch.
The boat beach near Phantom Ranch was busy with boaters coming and going and hikers cooling off in the Colorado. (Larger version)


Julie sitting in the Colorado River.
Julie sitting in the Colorado River. A boater checked the water temperature -- 57 degrees. (Larger version)


Cooling off in Bright Angel Creek.
Cooling off in Bright Angel Creek near the campground. (Larger version)


Drying my feet.
I'm waiting for my feet to dry so I can slip into my boots. (Larger version)


Unexpected visitor.
We had lunch beside the creek. I never felt anything but happened to see this fly on my toe. He wasn't disturbed by my movement to take this photo. (Larger version)


Julie reading.
Julie borrowed a book from the Phantom Ranch canteen and read it lying on a table under a tree. During the hottest part of the day we read, talked, slept and moved with the shade. (Larger version)

3 Comments:

Blogger graceonline said...

Nice. Since I faint in 100 degree weather, I'm glad it was you and Julie out there and not me! Thank you for sharing the images.

5/17/2009 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That picture with just your little tent in that big space is sobering.

5/20/2009 04:53:00 AM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

Beautiful pictures! I especially have a fondness for damselflies, and this one looks exceptionally friendly.

5/24/2009 09:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home