Monday, May 04, 2009

First Sighting

Julie saw the first snake of the season. Yesterday, as she was nearing the steps to the deck, she heard one rattle and saw it crawl under the steps. She called me and went for the camera. I could never find it.

Hopi Rattlesnake.
Hopi Rattlesnake. (Larger version)


This morning I put out feed and water. I walked by the snake without noticing him (her?) but saw him beside a fence post as I returned. I find it interesting how the brain learns to recognize their distinctive camouflage patterns. A few moments later I watched a young rabbit walk close by the snake oblivious to his presence.

It's fascinating how they circle and nestle into the ciders. Tonight he'll be gone but the distinctive circle will remain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think I'd get rattled waling about in your yard.

5/05/2009 06:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home