Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Time to Plant Corn

She came in smiling while carrying a bag and said "It's time to plant corn!"

Hopi seed corn.
Hopi seed corn. White corn on the left, blue in the middle and sweet corn on the right. (Larger version)


A few months ago a co-worker offered me some seed corn. About a month ago she told me they had planted corn near Sedona and that she would bring in the seed when the time got closer for planting locally at our elevation. Now is the time.

We talked for a few moments and she explained how the Hopi planted the corn by placing four or five seeds together. Being in a desert environment they plant in low areas where summer rains will provide more water.

I don't know how well corn will do but I'll have an enjoyable time trying to get a few ears.

Before my friend left she asked if I wanted some Hopi beans.

Oh, yes!

Now, I've got to find a good way to reciprocate and show my gratitude. That's a good problem to have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Nice problem indeed!

5/07/2009 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

We gardeners love to share seeds. Juicy ripe bounty on the other end of the season isn't half bad, either! I hope you'll keep us apprised of the plants' progress.

5/11/2009 02:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home