Thursday, May 28, 2009

Busy Week

Julie is home! It was a long cool week with dreary gray skies. The weather was unusual for this time of year. It rained lightly several times during the week. It was the first rain since last fall so it was welcomed even though it made the week seem longer, darker and more quiet.

Merrian Crater wearing a cloud cap.
Merrian Crater in the distance is wearing a cloud cap. (Larger version)


A few days ago I saw the first Bullock's Oriole of the season. Scotts Orioles arrive first around the time the hummingbirds return. Bullocks are about two weeks later. It seems like we have many more Orioles this year. Last night within a hour I counted about thirty-some coming to one of two feeders.

Bullocks Oriole.
A Bullocks Oriole photographed through a window glass and protective bird netting. (Larger version)


While Julie was gone I made two trips to Payson to pick up 20 feet of culvert 60 inches in diameter. The man had 26 feet for sale but when I arrived he wanted to keep 6 feet for his son. I'm going to cut the culvert into sections for raised garden beds. I fenced an area larger than my current beds so I have additional room. The cost was only $10 per foot!

x.
A 14 feet section of culvert 60 inches in diameter. A few quick cuts with a saw and I'll have several more raised garden beds! (Larger version)


A Rock Squirrel came through the yard recently. It's been two years since I last saw one inside the fence. The last one was drinking from an Oriole feeder that was hanging from a dead tree. This squirrel was digging into a berm where I bury fruit and vegetable waste from the kitchen.

Rock Squirrel.
On a rainy morning a hungry Rock Squirrel dug into the berm where I bury fruit and vegetable waste from the kitchen. (Larger version)


Last weekend I built and hung a gate on the garden so this weekend I hope to plant. Temperatures this week have been getting down to about 37 degrees but this cool spell should end soon.

We've ordered new windows for the house. I picked them up three weeks ago and hope to begin installation this weekend.

We've been busy lately. Busy is OK when I control the schedule and have plenty of wildlife to cause me to stop, watch and take a break!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

How do you plan to use the culvert? Will you have a bunch of circular flower beds?

5/28/2009 09:00:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

AC, I plan on cutting the culvert into 12 one-foot lengths so I'll have circular beds. I'll place them in some close configuration to enable running short/easy irrigation lines. I have three ideas in mind but haven't settled on a configuration as yet. I'll use them for flowers, rhubarb, asparagus, strawberries and some annual vegetables.

5/28/2009 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

DIABOLICAL!

5/28/2009 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can't believe I'd actually get that right! Have fun. Meanwhile, I must get back to my one lonely, little bed and put some soil in today.

5/30/2009 07:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home