Saturday, January 17, 2009

Winter Weekend in Colorado

We are in Colorado for a winter holiday. Last summer we made reservations for two nights during the week after Christmas but an unanticipated visit by Julie's daughter and son-in-law caused us to change the reservations to this weekend.

We are staying between Ouray and Ridgway. This morning we drove to Ouray, stopped at a coffee shop, browsed a few shops and then went to the Ice Park Where I took these photos.

Ouray Ice Park.
This is a portion of Ouray Ice Park. The large version shows people who add a sense of size and perspective. (Larger version)


Ice Park Climber.
Notice the climber in the center of the photo. (Larger version)


Air Force Climbers.
A member of a group from the Air Force Academy extended a camera to me and asked that I take a group photo before they began their day of climbing. As they made their way up the slope I took a group photo for myself.. (Larger version)


Watching a climber rappel to the bottom.
Julie, on the right in blue, and some strangers watch as a woman begins her rappel to the bottom of the gorge. (Larger version)


Julie and I struck up a conversation with the woman in the red jacket in the photo above. I moved to the far side of the gorge to get a photo of her descent. Julie asked why she was climbing alone and didn't have a partner. She replied that without a partner she could climb and leave without waiting on someone. As I was about to take the photo above another climber, a man about 40 years old, came up to me and said "That young lady is braver than I am to climb there." I was amused because she wasn't a "young" lady from his perspective. She was about 40 also. But,perhaps he considered himself young also. To me they are both young -- as are I and Julie.

A long climber.
Nearing the bottom of a rappel. The ice bridged the stream out of side below the climber so she did not land in the water. (Larger version)


We had lunch in Ridgway. During the meal Julie suggested that we make this an annual tradition for this weekend and that we make reservations before we leave tomorrow. I'm agreeable. I first rappelled many years ago. I think I'll suggest that she learn to rappel and that we try climbing next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks like a great weekend, and knowing you guys, you will be rappelling next year.

1/17/2009 08:56:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Looks a whole lot colder than it was when Kat and rode Sweet Thing through there - and it was chilly then.

1/17/2009 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Wow! That looks so awesome! What a winter wonderland!

1/18/2009 02:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home