Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Decorations

Julie and I have been married for eight years and this is the first Christmas that we've been home. Last year we were in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Three years ago Amsterdam. Other years included San Francisco, Buffalo, Amarillo, San Diego and Kentucky.

Cherry Tomatoes.
Red Cherry Tomatoes. (Larger version)


Because we normally travel we don't decorate. We have some Christmas decorations but they remain stored in boxes. This year our decorations are flowers -- Hibiscus, Geranium, Petunia, Kalanchoe and the red bracts of Crown of Thorns as well as red cherry tomaotes.

Petunia.
Petunia. We had this plant on our deck all summer. In the fall we cut it back and it has flourished. (Larger version)


Next winter I think I'll try to include more flowering plants.

Geranium.
We bought a geranium at the end of the season and it continues to bloom. It will be interesting to see how long it will live. In the background is a Roma tomato and a bell pepper that has yet to turn red. We picked red peppers earlier this week. (Larger version)

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Those, my friend, are the best decorations of ALL!

12/25/2008 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Great decorations. That's freedom! To celebrate and express and walk a path other than that set down (and largely enforced) by the folkways and to do it in a pleasing and interesting way.

I love that tomato vine. Is that wire netting behind it? Do you leave it there all year long? Great way to have fresh cherry tomatoes all winter long.

Many birds flying into the window to get through the vines?

BTW1: you might be interested in taking a look at this solar electric rig I came across at: http://coyotecottage.com/powerplant/system.htm

BTW2: Thanks for visiting my blog and I finally got to commenting to your comments

Be well.

Tim

12/26/2008 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Tim, the netting is a plastic net. I bought it and installed it on the outside of the glass to prevent birds from flying into the windows. I moved four potted tomatoes inside at the end of the summer and needed some way to control them. I had some scrap netting and it seemed like the best solution.

The tomatoes are indeterminate so they should keep producing up through next year and beyond. In the spring I think I'll keep these and root some cuttings for planting outside.

I've taken photos and am thinking about writing a post about raising tomatoes inside. This is my first experience and I'm feeling my way along.

12/26/2008 05:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home