Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thank You

I have a personal commitment to maintain a positive attitude. Negativity and ranting serve only to increase my frustration, harm my health and stress my marriage. Not all of life is positive and bad things must be dealt with in a constructive way. Anger can be a positive force to motivate to action.

Over two years ago my frustration and anger about the political and legal actions chosen by the previous administration reached a pinnacle. At that time I joined the ACLU and began to take a few steps beyond financial support. I made my decision about last fall's election, gave financial support to the campaign, affixed a bumper sticker to my car and irritated a few people with my opinions.

Today I received an email from the ACLU. Here's a portion of that email:

Dear ACLU Supporter,

Within hours of taking office, President Obama took the important first step to close Guantánamo: halting the unconstitutional military commissions by ordering the prosecution to seek a 120-day suspension.

It’s the first step in what we hope will be a series of bold measures to free America from the civil liberties outrages and human rights abuses of the Bush era.

The pundits and political experts told the ACLU we should “hold our horses” -- that it wouldn’t be right to expect swift action from Obama. You and half a million ACLU supporters didn’t listen to them -- and neither did our new President!

Let’s match President Obama’s first step forward with a powerful show of support and encouragement.

Sign the ACLU’s “Thanks for acting on Day One” message to President Obama.

I signed to express my approval and my gratitude.

Feelings of frustration, anger and shame have been replaced by feelings of hope and optimism. I like these new feelings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Good all over you.

1/22/2009 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was very impressed by that act. It affects a Canadian who is incarcerated there. He was a child soldier -- 15 years old -- and has been held for a long time.

1/22/2009 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I LOVE these new actions!

1/22/2009 06:21:00 PM  
Blogger graceonline said...

That's one of the best examples I've seen in a long while of how important it is to take positive action. Thank you so much for sharing this, Paul.

3/04/2009 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home