Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snowy Day at Work

Yesterday didn't go as planned. I started the engine to get the first load of water and it was missing on one cylinder. In October I replaced the plug wires because a wood rat had chewed two wires. I discovered he had returned. We go to the landfill once a year in June with the trash so I know I can find one of the old wires in a trash can. That seems like a better solution than spending another $45 for a new set. However, I took the easy way out and used electrical tape to make a temporary fix. Now, I need to make a permanent fix and teach this furry little critter to respect my property.

Plug wire destroyed by a wood rat.
Plug wire destroyed by a wood rat. (Larger version)


I didn't get the first load of water. The temperature was about 31 degrees and it appears the water line was frozen which is a first. I've gotten water when it was down near zero. I waited until the afternoon and got four loads without problem. The fifth load was a bust. It took my money but did nothing. It happened that two employees where leaving about that time. They tried to fix the system but couldn't get it working. No problem. I have enough water for a few weeks.


View out my office window.
View out my office window. A science lab building on the left, a residence hall on the right and construction in the distance. The large blue item behind the brick wall is a generator to support the science lab in case of power failure. The larger version makes the window screen less visible. (Larger version)


On the trip to work the radio forecast gave a chance of another 20 inches of snow today, tonight and tomorrow. Tomorrow is my last day of work until January 4. I'd like to work but if the University offices are closed I'll have a longer vacation. Today I'm the only one in the office. My co-workers opted to work from home. I can do this but like to separate home from work.

My workspace.
My workspace. On the wall are two posters of Guadalupe Mountains National Park that I brought with me from Texas. Good memories! (Larger version)



Flagstaff's weather forecast:
This Afternoon: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 37. East southeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Tonight: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 11pm. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Low around 27. South wind 6 to 9 mph increasing to between 17 and 20 mph. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow, mainly before 11am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. Southwest wind between 16 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.


Forecast at home:
This Afternoon: Rain. High near 41. Northeast wind at 7 mph becoming south southeast. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Tonight: Rain. Snow level 6500 feet. Low around 33. Calm wind becoming south southwest between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Thursday: Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 38. Southwest wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.


Map of Flagstaff and home.
Map of Flagstaff and home. About 18 air miles and 1400 feet lower elevation make a significant change in the weather. (Larger version)

1 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Kat and I were impressed with Flagstaff when we stopped there ont he ride about. We were talking about maybe that was where we wanted to drop anchor another day. Breakfast talk. Then the waitress told me they received
144" of snow the year before.

12/18/2008 09:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home