Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Stereotypes

We met tonight for the first time this semester. The Men's Group has started a third year with some new members. The organizer is a psychologist and equal member of the group. He always leads the first session and volunteers lead the other sessions.

We don't have a true agenda. Normally a topic is tossed out and discussion begins. We let the conversation move with the group's interest and don't always stay on the initial topic.

Tonight we were presented with a list of stereotypes. As I read the list I was reminded how little I know about men. It's not surprising because we men generally don't open up and talk.

Here's the list.
  • Most men think mainly about _____________.
  • Most men deal with conflict by ___________.
  • Most men value ____________ above all else.
  • Most men express their feelings by _____________.
  • Most men expect women to _____________.
  • Most men try to demonstrate their worth by ___________.
  • Most men define power in terms of ____________.
  • When men start to feel close to other men, most _________.
  • When men start to feel close to women, most ___________.
  • When men start to feel vulnerable, most _____________.
  • When men start to feel a lack of control, most _________.

Each item was paired with a personalized item like this:
  • Most men think mainly about _____________.
  • I think mainly about ______________.

Tough issues. I don't know about most men and I have trouble completing the personalize items about myself. However, I have a plan. I'm going to ask Julie to complete the items. I think she probably knows men and knows me better than I know myself.

Hmmm? Is it a gender stereotype to say that about her because she's a female?

One of the new guys volunteered to bring a topic for next week. It's going to be a good semester.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

You're kidding me, right? SEX. That's it. Constantly. Under all circumstances. All other thoughts are crammed in there between SEX.

Needless to say, I seem to have more time for other thoughts these days......

10/02/2008 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home