Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Perfect Weekends

I enjoy work. I enjoy play. I enjoy playful work. The last two weekends have been a fine blend of both.

The cistern was cleaned. It took six weeks to let the water get low enough to pump the cistern dry. Using a brush, extension handle, bleach and a wet-dry vacuum we scrubbed it before refilling. Before it's cleaned next year I plan on buying extension wands for the wet-dry vacuum. I could barely reach the back bottom area.

Cleaning the cistern.
Cleaning the cistern. (Larger version)


Julie and I poured a concrete floor in our sun room in preparation for installing tile. Originally I planned a stone floor but she requested tile. Working together we mixed and poured slightly over four yards of concrete made with crushed glass.

I cut the doorway into the house and have about one hour's work remaining to finish the trim on the doorway.

The room has exceeded my expectations. I knew it would be enjoyable but I didn't anticipate Julie's ability to turn it into a irresistible piece of paradise. I'll publish photos after we paint and install the tile.

Impatience caused us to move a futon, small dining table, two chairs, round braided rug and one other piece of furniture last weekend. We'll have to move the furniture out before finishing the room in about ten days but until then we're having group breakfasts with birds and rabbits outside the glass wall.

Lesser Goldfinches.
Lesser Goldfinches. (Larger version)


This has been an excellent spring for birding. This morning I counted 25 Mourning Doves in the yard. Last week Julie saw a Roadrunner. We see about one Roadrunner per year. Here's a list of some of birds that we've seen in the last week in the yard:


  • Northern Flicker
  • Robin
  • Scott's Oriole
  • Raven
  • Black Chinned Hummingbird
  • Pinyon Jay
  • Scrub Jay
  • Lesser Goldfinch
  • House Finch
  • Lark Sparrow
  • Cow Bird
  • Mourning Dove
  • Ring Necked Dove
  • House Sparrow
  • Greater Roadrunner


It's snake season again. Last year I saw the first rattlesnake in the yard on about May 10th. All summer I saw nothing but rattlesnakes. This year is different. On a trip to get a load of water we stopped to say hello to a four to five feet Gophersnake crossing the road. On the way back we saw a small dead snake on the road. Tire marks in the dirt road seemed to indicate an individual of the variety with an ochre nape went out of his way to run over the snake. It was lying on this back and the makings and colors on it's under side were beautiful. An off-white neck with faint black spots became a light pink that turned a deep pink on the tail. Julie gently touched its still soft body. Truly beautiful.

This weekend Deb and Chris, Julie's sister and brother-in-law, are visiting from Texas. Another perfect weekend is coming!

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

And up here we are under a winter storm warning. They predicting 10 to 15 centimeters; however much that is.

4/23/2008 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I'm spending a few days down in Scottsdale from my home in MA. I think it's a very good thing that you're up north and off the grid. It took about 30 years to build this obscene place and I predict that in 30 years it will be uninhabited. When the oil is gone, life here will be unbearable and the locals have no clue. All this heat and sun, and there are NO solar collectors in sight.

I love reading about your renewable resource adventures. Keep it up!

4/26/2008 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Marlon said...

I have to clean my two cisterns as well, any advice? Mine are like yours in the photo, poly 2500 tanks.

Thanks!
Marlon

2/14/2012 03:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home