Monday, May 05, 2008

Aching Knees

"Take care of your knees!"

My mother gave me this advice several years ago after she had surgery on a knee. At the time I smiled but wondered "How does one take care of knees?"

In my late twenties and early thirties I worked with a crew roofing houses. At the end of the first summer we broke in late November or early December for the winter and didn't return to work until March. For weeks after the last job my knees remained swollen, stiff and would sometimes feel like they engaged a lock when half erect upon attempting to stand from a sitting position. After that first season I had no knee pain during the next few years that I roofed.

Floor Tile
Floor nears half completion. (Larger version)


This weekend Julie and I installed floor tile. She purchased inexpensive (aka: cheap) knee pads and used them. I chose the impoverished route and decided to work without knee pads. In the end I learned something and remembered another item. I learned installing tile on a level concrete floor is more painful than installing shingles on a pitched lumber roof and I remembered that I'm no longer impoverished.

On Saturday evening we had to go to town for supper with friends. Since we'd be in town I suggested we stop by a lumber yard and buy knee pads. I selected a pair, a not inexpensive pair, slipped a knee into one pad and knelt on the floor.

"Julie, you've got to try these."

"That's OK. I'll use the ones I have."

"No! Try these!"

She agree and tried them.

"Oh! Wow!"

We left with two pairs.

Mom would be happy to know I finally took her advice.

(PS: AC, I try to be an "indestructible physical specimen" but the truth is that I'm not and am becoming more destructible with age. I don't like to admit it but that's the truth.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

You'll be set should you ever join up with a get down on your prayer bones evangelical church.

5/05/2008 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I first felt my knees about a day after my 30th birthday. I had to climb a steep set of stairs and felt it in my knees for the first time.

Comparatively speaking, you are a fine physical specimen. Enjoy.

5/06/2008 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

THE Wife's knees have been shot for years now and we are dreading the inevitable day the knees need to be replaced. Mine are fine but my joints are starting to bitch and moan all the time and I can't make them shut the hell up.

5/06/2008 04:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home