Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Adventure Begins

Flowers watered, fuse pulled from the water pump, bird feeders full, note for the friend checking the house, passports, camera, backpacks, credit cards -- everything except money. As we pulled into the bank parking lot the phone rang. It was a clerk notifying us that the pesos we had ordered had arrived a day late but were ready. Perfect timing.

As I prepared to sign for the money, she opened the envelope and pulled out two stacks, two very large stacks. We had requested some smaller denominations, twenties and fifties, but hadn't specified the quantity. We received only twenties and fifties so we left the bank with 143 bills totaling 4,060 pesos or $400 US. I guess I can roll them up and look like I'm carrying a large apple in my pocket.

Pesos.
Pesos.


It's about 185 miles from our house to the airport. We opted to spend the night at a hotel near the airport that will provide a 5 AM shuttle. Tomorrow night we'll be in Mexico City.

I've never read my passport. As we drove to Phoenix Julie read this to me:

The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance . . . . .
"...without delay or hindrance..." Given the current state of affairs I find that ironic. I don't expect to be delayed or hindered except by US officials.

We'll spend 3 nights in Mexico City before traveling to Cuernavaca. Someone asked if we would rent a car. No way in hades! Mexico City has been described as the largest city in the world -- over 20 million people in approximately 600 square miles. We'll use public transit.

Waiting to be explored are historical districts, museums and Aztec ruins. We've scheduled Teotihuacan for Friday. The Pyramid of the Sun, Pyramid of the Moon, Avenue of the Dead, Feathered Serpent Pyramid -- names that don't just pique my curiosity but give me a sense of thankfulness. I'm getting to see, feel, breathe, taste and experiences places that I read about as a kid over 50 years ago -- places that I thought beyond my small, limited, fiscally-challenged world of the 1950s.

When I think life is wonderful and can't possibly get any better, it does.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Be sure to take LOTS and LOTS of pictures, my friend. You WERE intending on taking US along, right?

ENJOY!

12/20/2007 08:19:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Feliz Navidad, amigo mio.

12/20/2007 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home