Sunday, September 02, 2007

Sunday Morning Walk

.
Rocky Mountain Bee Plant. I plan on collecting seed and sowing a large area visible from our deck. (Larger version)


.
Actually, I took this photo on Saturday. I tried to get a photo of this creature's entire body but he refused to pose and was faster than I expected when I put him on the ground. Within 15 minutes, I saw two more in different areas around the yard.. (Larger version)


.
. (Larger version)


.
. (Larger version)


.
My grandmothers grew large impressive flowers that commanded attention. Many years ago I relinquished the bigger is better philosophy and learned to see the beauty in the small, the fragile and the delicate. (Larger version)


.
We've had some strong winds recently. It appears this dead tree was uprooted and rolled bottom-up. (Larger version)


.
Notice this little guy's spiked tail. It's a tail and not a horn -- unless he was walking backwards. (Larger version)


.
. (Larger version)


.
We found this Sacred Datura a little over a mile from the house. I had spotted one plant on a bank a few miles from home and was planning on collecting seed. On our walk we found several Datura close to home. (Larger version)


.
Julie placed a twig in front of this bug to slow him down because he refused to pose for a photo. We saw a snake -- the first non-Rattlesnake that I've seen this year -- but he refused to pose also. Julie has picked up snakes but this one was too fast. (Larger version)


.
. (Larger version)


.
. (Larger version)



.
Julie is fascinated with Horned Lizards -- Horney Toads. This little camouflaged guy was invisible on the ground -- until he moved. (Larger version)



.
This is about the larges Horned Lizard we've found near home. Most are smaller. (Larger version)

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

You really do need to come and see the Flinders Ranges!

9/02/2007 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mysti said...

Great pictures. I, like Julie, love horny toads. I grew up with them in south Texas, and loved seeing them almost daily. It's to cold in Colorado darn it.

9/03/2007 08:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home