Tuesday, August 07, 2007

WIn, Win and Win

He offered me drugs. I said “No”.

He responded with more arguments in favor of drugs and, again, I said “No”.

My cholesterol is in the “normal’ range according to the lab report but the cardiologist uses a more strict standard and, since I’ve had an “abnormal stress test”, he wants to prescribe statins.

All lab results (blood sugar, pulse, blood pressure, etc) are in the “normal” range with two exceptions. First, I weight 203 which is 4 or 8 pounds overweight depending on the standard used. Second, my BMI (body mass index) is 25.5 and should be 24.9 or less.

I don’t want drugs. I want lifestyle changes. Here’s my logic.

Arguments for Drugs
  1. Effective for reducing LDL cholesterol.
  2. Quick, easy and painless solution requiring little effort.
  3. Will enrich the drug companies which have massive expenses due to spending more on political lobbying than any other industry.

Arguments for Lifestyle Changes
  1. Effective in reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol.
  2. Effective in raising HDL (good) cholesterol.
  3. Can produce weight loss.
  4. Can lower BMI.
  5. Requires research to learn about diet, nutrition, exercise, stress management and diet supplements (vitamins and herbal remedies). Research stimulates the brain and slows aging.
  6. New knowledge better enables me to discuss health issues with medical professionals.
  7. Julie can take part in research and learning so she benefits from mental stimulation.
  8. Julie can take part in lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc) so her health improves also. (Julie did have her cholesterol tested about the same time and her results are excellent! She's in a maintenance mode.)
  9. Julie and I can research and make changes together so it becomes a bonding opportunity and our marriage benefits.
  10. Lifestyle changes will benefit the heart and will provide some protection against other diseases (cancer, dementia, etc) beyond the benefit of drugs alone.
  11. Lifestyle changes necessitate omitting processed foods and eating more fresh fruits and vegetables which saves energy now devoted to processing food.
  12. Eating more fresh fruits and vegetables gives the opportunity to buy from local farmers and eliminates the need to transport some food great distances thus eliminating some greenhouse gas.
  13. Lifestyle change take work and effort so I'll get a sense of accomplishment.
  14. My lifestyle changes may provide an example for and be an encouragement to family, friends and co-workers.
  15. Increased exercise can be channeled into productive physical labor.
  16. And, there are other reasons

I'm committed to lifestyle changes.

I win because my health improves.

Julie wins because her health improves also.

Everyone and all living creatures win because our lifestyle changes will contribute less to pollution and global warming. Some may argue that this is an insignificant amount but, regardless, I think it's a winning move.

Win,win and win! I like that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Most doctors prescribe drugs as though they had stock in the pharmacy. Obviously drugs can be a life-saver but they do come at a cost that is sometimes greater than money.

Sounds to me as though your proposed changes are an excellent guide for 'most everyone.

You had us worried there.

8/07/2007 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

The only drugs I take are smokes and alcohol, but of late I have taken nought at all.
I do not like taking any form of drugs and if I have to it will only be panadol. Even for the pain in my arm.

With me being crook at the mo, maybe it is an opportunity to give the fags away and make a lifestyle change of my own.

8/08/2007 04:23:00 AM  
Blogger arcolaura said...

I would argue that the changes you suggest are significant in terms of pollution and global warming. We tend to think first of driving less, and maybe second of making our homes more energy efficient, but according to the ecological footprint calculator, my best opportunity to reduce my personal footprint is to eat local, whole foods.

8/08/2007 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

I think doctors also push medication because then their ass is covered for malpractice. It is sad but in this society of law suits happy people, you can't blame them.

I think they are also used to dealing people who don't have the discipline or desire to make the necessary life changes.

You, my friend, are an exception to many rules.

Keep up the good work - you are an inspiration.

8/08/2007 07:39:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you're in great shape and that the cardiologist may be overreacting. But you should keep on top of the situation.

8/08/2007 08:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home