Thursday, August 30, 2007

An Almost Novel Idea

Crushed recycled glass! That’s an idea.

Recently I took materials to the local recycling center and looked at the mountain of free crushed glass near the crushing equipment. An idea grabbed me. “Why not use the glass in place of sand in a concrete footer that I’m planning?”

Hey! That’s a great idea. Why didn’t someone think of this before me?

Yep. You guessed it. My novel idea wasn’t so novel.

I went to the web and searched for “crushed glass concrete” and found thousands of articles. Tests have been conducted to determine the wisdom of using crushed glass in concrete.

Oh, well. Maybe I didn’t think of it first, but, as it turns out, it’s a good idea.

This weekend, on top of a rubble trench foundation, I'll pour a ribbon of concrete mixed with glass.

6 Comments:

Blogger arcolaura said...

What are the particles like? Would it serve the function of "sharp sand" in mortar?

8/30/2007 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

I'll be darned!

8/30/2007 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, I'm glad they use it for something! I like recycling all that we can. All that garbage in the landfills. ICK!

At our local Toyota dealership they have the most beautiful floor where they work on the cars at. I remarked on it one day. They told me that it was painted and then finely crushed walnut shells were sprinkled down and then it was all painted over again. It's very pretty!!

8/30/2007 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Congratulations! I think it's great when we get thoughts that are original to us, even they have been thought of previously by countless others

8/30/2007 04:39:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I'm all for recycling, but before the highway departments let out big contracts to their favorite "suppliers", I hope somebody tests the effect of all that glass on bicycle tires.

8/31/2007 05:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

follow the yellow glass road!

9/03/2007 08:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home