Saturday, November 11, 2006

Out of the Blue

(Protecting confidences is important. I asked for and received permission before writing this post.)

I woke up Thursday in a foul mood and didn’t want to be around anyone but Julie.

On Wednesday evening, I went to a showing of a film about the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. A religious group was in charge so I knew it was a risky venture. I understood why I was feeling anti-social on Thursday morning so I retreated into myself and prepared to wait for the new sun of a new day. I’ve learned that all things pass and a night’s sleep and a new day solve most problems or give me a better perspective. To contain my frustration and protect the blogging world, I wrote a safe, sterile and neutered post on spelunking and prepared to go to work after checking my personal email. I received this email.


Today is a good day! One of those days that life just can’t seem to get any better. The kids got up good. They had the house cleaned when I got home yesterday. We played Simon Says last night. Laughed! It was good.

I have helped people today with accounts who have been struck by cancer, have no hair, yet they still smile and feel a little better when they leave because I helped them.

Do you know I use to hate it when you would stop to help somebody on the side of the road. I would be tired and just want to go home. I can remember groaning when I would see someone stranded. I just knew you were going to stop. Well look at what it created. Have I ever told you the story of the little oriental girl stranded in a snow bank? I was 23 on my way to work and PREGNANT. As I was coming down the road I could see her sitting in her car spinning wheels. Now when I was a child I would have at this point started groaning. The closer I got I knew what I had to do. The look on her face, I couldn't drive by. I pulled over to the side of the road. Got down on my knees (because I couldn't bend over I'm pregnant) and started digging the snow out away from the tires with my bare hands. Once I had dug enough I helped push her out. I can still see her smile when she realized she was free. She rolled down her window and thanked me. But you know it didn't even matter if she had thanked me because I knew I couldn't have got her off my mind the rest of the day if I hadn't stopped. Nobody knows about that story. I never told anyone but you. I didn't do it so I could brag about it. That was just a little something I have kept to myself so that when I'm having a bad day. I can stop and tell myself I am a good person. I am a good person because I had a great role model.

I know you may not know all the ways you have influenced my life but let’s just say I would hate to think of the person I would be if I didn't have you.

I love you!!

Angel

My daughter was almost too perfect as a young child. She was loving, agreeable and basically easy to be with and to parent. When she entered her late teens, she lost her way and we experienced several difficult and hellacious years. We made it through those years much, much better than I hoped at the time.

Her email was unexpected and came out of the blue.

I had a good day on Thursday -- a very good day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That "out of the blue" could put you "in the pink" for a day.

11/11/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

You have had a very successful life my friend. It has to warm you on those cold nights when the ghosts walk about.

11/11/2006 09:22:00 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Now that's a love letter a every good father would love to receive. How wonderful that your daughter took the time to say the things we often let go unsaid. It's amazing what we teach children when we aren't even trying.

11/11/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Touching!

11/11/2006 07:01:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Did I ever tell you how much your story means to me? This post is any excellent example of why. Thank you for sharing this with us, Paul.

11/11/2006 07:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home