Thursday, February 09, 2006

I Can't Escape

I found the following comment by “g” on another blog.


“I cried too. Because I'm one of the people everyone in the Church, well the only Church that I thought there was at least, is told to hate, and stay away from. I've been more hurt by people in the Church than anyone else. I've been made fun of, beat up, and abused, all from people in the Church, and all in the name of their God.

I had never been shown love from a person who says they believe in Christ, and up till I met you I thought that Jesus was a teacher of hate, and prejudice. And just reading some of the comments you get, and some of the people that you link too, I now know that there is a totally different Jesus that people follow. One that does not hate and hurt people.

Thanks for being a safe place, and for showing love. It's allowed me to start to learn to love and learn about who Jesus REALLY is, not who the Church made him.

I'm learning to love those who hate me.
I don't think they know any better.”


The power of example is amazing.

The power of caring is unlimited.

The power of courage is liberating.

I’m glad there are people – not me but others -- who focus not on tradition, theology and conformance but rather are courageous, caring examples for “g” and others.

Of my own volition, I haven’t been to church in years but there’s a truth encrusted in the damnable outward religion that I can’t escape.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

That truth is so strong....even religion cannot destroy it.

2/09/2006 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

Paul and Rob--Oh, you've said it! And, Paul? Thank you for this post. If it could be tatooed across the heads of most Christians, (backward, so they'd read it everytime they looked in their mirrors) the world might be a better place.

2/10/2006 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger natala said...

When I read it, it just made me ache... I've known G and I must say that he has taught me so much more than I could ever write about. I've realized that I also have to let people love me as well. I think it's all about friendship, a deep loving friendship that all of this is about.
peace - natala

2/10/2006 09:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that oftentimes in my life the very people who preach peach and love and forgiveness and profess to be humanists, or whatever you want to call them are very predjudiced against Christians, of which I am one. I love the Lord with all my heart and while I often fail at being "like Christ", I am reminded that He died for absolutely everyone on earth - willingly, sacrificially and lovingly. Yes, I hurt other people, sometimes unknowingly but truthfully, sometimes on purpose, because I am not perfect, because Christian growth is a process, lifelong and hard work. Not all "Christians" are full of judgment, hate and hypocrisy. Some are just ordinary people, loving and serving their God and trying to do what God wants them to do. On behalf of these Christians, I hope all who truly hate us will someday take the time to really get to know one of us and really hear our point of view. And if we disagree, then may we live side by side peacefully, lovingly and without malice.

2/11/2006 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger Dan Trabue said...

Anonymous,

I found this post to be a positive affirmation of true Christianity and a rebuke of false religion, not a slam on Christianity at all.

I can tell from the few times already that Mr. Wonder's and my paths have crossed that he is either a christian or, at least, one who loves those who love Christ. Or so it seems to me.

For what it's worth.

2/12/2006 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home