Monday, February 06, 2006

Shhh! Keep Quiet!

It was a lesson that I learned in 1973. I had been out of the Army for a year and needed to get on with life. I needed a purpose and direction. I had taken the first job that came along until I got something better. Something better came along but “better” is subjective. It paid well, very well, had good benefits and a retirement plan. I guess these were OK but, it sucked the life out of me.

I found a small farm – 40 acres, duplex house, barn, pond, tractor, a few acres of grapes, nice location – something to add spice to life as I worked a regular job. As I began thinking about buying the place I mentioned what I was considering to a few people and they taught me something. “Keep quiet!” It seems people have a knack for seeing the down-side of things. If a down-side or negative doesn’t exist then they will create one. I heard plenty of reasons for not buying a farm.

Since then, I get an idea, I think about it and research it and don’t tell anyone until it’s a done deal.

As I read blogs and websites on sustainable living I see people haven’t changed. Someone posts an idea and there are always people who tell them why it’s a bad idea. I don’t understand why people find fault but don’t offer alternative solutions. I don’t understand why people feel the need to be negative rather than encouraging.

Are you trying something new? Good for you! It doesn’t matter if I think you’re making a mistake – go for it! Yes, I feel this way even if I’m 100% convinced that you’re making a mistake and what you’re trying won’t work. Do it!

I find it amusing – no, make that irritating – that people sit on their asses at a computer and find fault with those who out doing things and living life.

So, I say “go for it”. Make your mistakes and enjoy your successes. Life your life your way and when you’re old I hope you can say “Damn, that was fun!”

Excuse me. I have to get back to my life. I have a few ideas that I want to try. I’ll tell you about them later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

How well I know the truth of your words!

2/06/2006 10:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop whinning! It's not too late.

2/06/2006 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

How nice it would be if more people thought like you.

:-)

2/06/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Yea, I hear it all the time, how buying a hybrid is stupid because it costs more initially which does away with the saving in gas, but that's such a shallow comparison that seems to totally ignore all the other benefits that come from driving one, such as the effect on the environment, the quiet, the tax breaks that can bring the cost back down, and if you keep it running long enough you WILL see a cost benefit after all. Taking out a loan to pay for solar panels puts you way ahead because the payments are over eventually, and the payments do not fluctuate wildly with the cost of electrical generation at the power company. I'm not about to tell anyone about my faster than light drive I'm building cause the last thing I need is some stuck-up physicist telling me why it won't work. Sometimes the trip to nowhere is alot more fun than getting there.

2/06/2006 04:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home