Thursday, January 26, 2006

Politics 102

Last night I received an email with the subject "Just Wondering". Here's an edited version.

I have been reading some of your blogs. And like you I look at things differently. We had a discussion at work recently about pregnant teenage girls at our local schools. Someone brought up . . . child care provided to student mothers at school . . . they feel that only incourages the students to have sex. I expressed . . . that it was not the child care that caused these kids to engage in sex . . . that it's keeping these kids in school.

This one girl . . . feels they need to drop out of school, get a job and take care of their child. . . . She became so angry by my feelings she began cussing in the cafeteria. I smiled the whole time. She later apologized. Anyway, how can in-school child care be so bad???? That child (student) now has an education.

Sometimes people find me the "weirdo" at work. I don't judge people by what they wear, what gender they love, or what color of skin they love. . . .
I guess I just want to say thanks for instilling weirdoism in me. Makes my life a lot more interesting. Plus I am able to handle life a little bit better.

Love you!!!!!!
Angel


"Angel" is my daughter and will be 36 in about two weeks. She has worked at a hospital for the last sixteen years and has contact with many people. In some ways -- maybe, perhaps, hopefully -- I have some small positive influence on our world through her. I think political participation is important, but the example we provide to friends and family is more important. In my opinion, this is more important than the influence that I have through the ballot box.

When she was young I called my daughter Angel more often than I called her by her ame. I didn't realize the significance of this until she learned to write and I noticed she used "Angel" as her middle name when practicing writing her full name. Since it was special to her, I intentionally continued to use that name rather than her real name which is Dawn. Several years ago, on a visit to her new house, I noticed she had decorated with angels -- figurines, prints, etc. As I travel, I watch for different or unusal items with an angel theme to send to her as a gift.

In spite of the world's problems and in spite of the frustrations of politics, life can be and is good!

7 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Sounds to me as though your daughter does you proud. And that does make life especially sweet.

1/26/2006 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

Any child would be blessed to have you as their father... interesting, compassionate, adventurous, an outside of the box thinker, tolerant... if my dad wasn't so incredible, I'd love for you to be mine!!

1/26/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

This post means more to me than I think I can explain. Thank you.

1/26/2006 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

I think you've had a very positive influence on a lot of people. She certainly has taken things she's learned from you to heart. People who she has contact with will learn at least some small amount of it too. At least she will give them reason to think, as you so often do.
:-)

1/27/2006 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

You're a lucky man, indeed. And she a lucky girl.

1/27/2006 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

This post has a refreshing quality...you must be so pleased at her progress.

1/27/2006 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I read Buffalo and Shandi to laugh. I read you to smile.

1/28/2006 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home