Tuesday, February 21, 2006

99% Attitude

I think life is more attitude than anything else.

A blog I check occasionally has been deleted. The author said that complaining just led to more complaining and decided it was time to quit. Sad. The blog had some good things to offer as well as some complaining.

Just as an athlete trains to compete in some event so we can train our minds. I don't mean learn new knowledge but train our minds to react and respond more quickly in a certain way.

I can train my mind and develop emotional attitudes. If I think negative thoughts then it becomes easier after a period of time. Ranting and bitching lead to more ranting and bitching.

The good news is I can do the opposite. I can focus on the positive and after a while I find it easier to be positive and happy.

One of my basic tenets is that life is a choice. I can choose to be happy or I can choose to be unhappy. The choice doesn't mean that I'll instantly become content but that I must work for contentment and happiness. Perhaps a better way to state it is that "I can choose actions that lead to happiness or unhappiness."

Personally, I find blogs and people who are always positive, bubbly and sugary a little trying and frustrating. Life isn't all roses. Sometimes a little realistic complaining is a good thing. I read and think about some negative things such as corporate evil, peak oil, global warming, the war and political corruption. However, I try to limit my reading and thinking to constructive ways and for a limited amount of time. Ultimately, I find it best to lay these subjects aside and choose to return to the good things in life.

I think life is 99% attitude and a choice. Life is a balancing game wherein I balance the good and the bad and make sure the scales always tip toward the good. It seems to work for me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

I think I admire the ability to control one's mood. It is a talent I've never developed.

2/21/2006 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

I must try harder in this area. :)

2/21/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I hope the astronomers give us a heads up if the BIG ONE smacks the Earth in my lifetime. I want to watch the show with a nice drink in my hand and my loved one's hand in mine. Might as well go out in style......grin.

Yea, it's all in the way ya look at it.......

2/21/2006 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Careful Paul,
The wisdom you are spreading might take root. You could become a messia. Then you would really be in trouble.

2/21/2006 06:59:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

You're right on, Paul. As usual you inspire me to share my own positive/negative polarity. I have always been a terrible negative thinker. (George Will said Sunday that pessimists are happier because they're seldom disappointed.)

My spiritual awakening came from (what else?) The Power of Positive Thinking. It set me on a new path. I became a victor, whereas before I had been a victim. Still I think negative, the worst eventuality always comes to mind.

I call that 'critical thinking' and believe that most people are entirely too credulous. As you say, there is a balance.

Shortly after reading the 'sacred book' (for me!) I met Ellie, an extremely positive thinker. For 48 years she has patiently endured my rants, and perhaps helped me to see the bright side. You are I are very lucky.

2/22/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Perception is to much about attitude and attitude is so much about discipline...


These thoughts have been pretty heavily intertwined in my life of late, too, so I wrote a bit on it in my blog.

Like Larry, I've also found a couple of books helpful in learning and developing discipline. One is "Unlimited Power" by Anthony Robbins and others, whose names I don't recall, deal with contemplative prayer.

2/22/2006 10:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home