Saturday, December 17, 2005

Play Weekend

I’ve learned that laughter, play and recreation are necessities.

Julie and I schedule some time each day for recreation – a walk together, a short 30-minute sitcom, sitting together and reading -- something. We plan our weekends around recreation. We work one weekend and focus on playing the next weekend. Even on work weekends we’ll take one-half day for some extended play time.

Today we’re going to Sedona to browse art galleries. Later in the day we’ll drive south toward Phoenix to lower altitudes and warmer weather. (At our house it’s been getting below zero this week). We’ll swim in the sunshine, talk with friends in a huge hot tub, cook together and watch a movie tonight. Tomorrow we’ll leisurely make our way home and do whatever catches our attention on the way.

I’ve learned that life is series of choices. I generally avoid either-or choices but I think this is an either-or choice. Either I can spend my money on recreation or I can spend my money on visits to doctors, prescriptions and preparations for a nursing home. I can’t live without food, water, sleep, oxygen and play.

Tomorrow’s post won’t happen until late in the day – if at all. I hope you have a good, fun weekend.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds like you and your friends might cook together in the hot tub. Seriously, have a nice day.

12/17/2005 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Yes sir. You have it.

12/17/2005 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Another healthy, down-to-earth post!

12/17/2005 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

I'm trying to learn to play again--it's been soooo long. I love adventures--a gift I recently started giving myself. Come to think of it, I'm wayyy past due on one... maybe that's why I'm cranky...hmmmm

12/17/2005 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

Paul, I invite you please to turn your mind to A Worthy Project on my site. Thanks, George

12/17/2005 08:08:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/18/2005 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Oh! I almost forgot: we play tennis about every morning for an hour or so (weather permitting). And of course we read a lot.

Ours is fairly similar, Paul: a customary 30 minute walk, sleeping through the evening news, then perhaps a movie afterward, mainly because our daily energies are pretty much gone.

What else? A drive to the ocean about every two weeks, all day trip, seeing old familiar sights and enjoying one another's company.

One homely adage for the inexperienced: the couple that spends time together stays together.

Some day I'm goin' out there to see ya;
as way opens.

2:04 PM
Delete

12/18/2005 02:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found my way here from anvilcloud's site. I was drawn by your blogger profile (also linked from his site). Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Enjoy your weekend. It sounds wonderful.

12/18/2005 04:24:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Very inspiring Post Paul :)

Thank you.

12/18/2005 11:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home