Saturday, November 05, 2005

Why I Don’t Watch Sports

I have a friend who is a sports fan, an extreme sports fan. I went with her to a college basketball game and it wasn’t going well for her team. I was slightly amused by her reaction – by the energy and emotion and passion that exploded from her as she watched the game. I almost spoke the unforgivable words when she suddenly turned to me and said “Don’t tell me it’s just a game because it isn’t!”

For her it was more than a game and it enriched her life but for me it was just a game. It was a game played by other people. I never watch sports because I want and need to play rather than watch.

When I get old and sit on a porch in a rocker and think back over my life I don’t want to remember television programs or sports games. I don’t want to have visions of other people playing and living as I sat on my butt. I would rather sit in a rocker and look at my hands and inspect the scars -- four on my left hand, one on my right. These and other scars are the souvenirs of my life that I gathered while living and playing.

A few years ago in remote part of Texas while hiking by a dry sandy stream my wife said “Let’s make butt prints in the sand!” So we did. That’s a good scratchy memory and probably the most fun I’ll ever have sitting on my butt.

Our universe is a huge smorgabord. Each of us can choose the people, things and experiences that enrich our lives.

7 Comments:

Blogger George Breed said...

"Butt prints in the sand."
Wasn't that a Pat Boone/ Patsy Cline song?

On a day like today
We pass the time away
Placing our butt prints in the sand

How you laughed when I cried
Each time I saw the tide
Take our butt prints from the sand

You made a vow that you
Would always be true
But somehow, that vow
Meant nothing to you

Now my poor heart just aches
With ev'ry wave that breaks
Over our butt prints in the sand

You ARE a cheeky dude.

11/05/2005 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger Trée said...

George, you caused my upper cheek bones to defy gravity and for that I thank you. :-)

Paul, wonderful post. Butt prints in the sand will now forever be a part of my memory bank.

11/05/2005 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

AND...(I got carried away with the buttprints), I feel similarly about spectator sports (except for reading).

Some folk like Jerry Springer. Some folk like football. It's all the same to me.

As for me, I appreciate what you said. I'm busy collecting scars from close encounters.

Thanks, Paul.

11/05/2005 09:41:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

My sentiments, exactly! I've concluded recently that I want a lot of recreation under my belt before I get too old to move! I want to really see the stuff of forests and prairie, to know more about the world around me. We take so much for granted.

11/05/2005 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't watch a lot of sports now -- haven't for quite a while. Occasionally, I get absorbed. You've got to care for one side in order to get into it for whatever reason.

11/05/2005 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

"Butt prints in the sand." It sounds like you and your wife have a wonderful time together! *giggles*

11/05/2005 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Paul,
I love both aspects of your post.

I have wrestled for years with why people get so into watching others play sports. Recently I have been given a series of lessons hinting that it is just fine that the majority operates from second hand experience and intermediate information. It seems that on any given topic, only a few need to experience directly.

11/05/2005 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home