Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Gift to Be Enjoyed

Great news! Today my wife accepted a new job making less than one-third of her current salary.

Why is this good news? Because life is a gift to be enjoyed and changes in her current job have not been increasing the joy. Her new position is part-time and will require her to work during the fall and spring semesters only – no work in January and no work in the summer. Since we are nearing retirement this will serve as a stepping stone.

So, to heck with the money and a less than pleasant working environment. Bring on the opportunity to live simple, to travel and to enjoy life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Solange Hommel said...

Amen. My husband (an indie computer game designer/programmer) and I (an elementary school teacher) are thrilled to be working jobs that we adore, and we have found it quite easy to live within those humble means. I thank my lucky stars that I can look forward to my work on a daily basis.

11/03/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

I always tell people that the most important thing with a job is that you should enjoy it. Money is not the important thing.

I am glad your wife has made the right choice. She will be all the much happier because of it!

I was working at a job that I really enjoyed when a better opportunity came-up. It was an opportunity where I could grow where I was working. I took the job and for eight months I was miserable. Luckily I was able to get my old job back. I have been much happier now that I've got my job back. Even though my chances for growth are pretty much stunted, I am happy and that is what matters.

Also, I've realized that I'm not an entirely ambitious woman. I don't really desire to be at the top of the ladder. I prefer to be content in my spot and I wouldn't mind staying there the rest of my working life.

11/04/2005 08:51:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Damn! I surely do like your attitude!

11/04/2005 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I retired a few monthes ago, and I wish I had slowed down like your wife is doing...working part time will give her the best of both worlds.

11/04/2005 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YIPPEEE!!!

11/04/2005 05:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home