Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Water

I live in a desert and must haul water so I installed a water meter to manage my water usage. In the last eight weeks my wife and I have averaged 44 gallons per day. Some months it’s a little more or less. The average daily household consumption in the US is 350 gallons per day. I wonder how I’m doing compared to similar households because the national average includes families with children.

My goal is not to go to an extreme. It appears binge dieting is usually doomed and I think something similar applies to other areas of life. My wife and I don’t consciously try to minimize our water usage. We made choices and decisions, put them into practice and live comfortably without giving a thought to water.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bonita said...

I have remote family members out in Montana that still haul their drinking water because the well that supplies their water has obnoxious sediments and minerals that make it unpleasant to drink. They had 8 oil wells on this property about 30 years ago - you'd think Texaco could have fixed them up with some good water.

11/03/2005 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Red Bark said...

Hello I_Wonder,

I love the desert.

My family used to take me the desert every year when I was growing. It is suprizingly alive and colorful at times.

I would be pretty nervous about not having some kind of emergency water supply in case things get bad.

Solar is a great thing. I came very close to putting a solar panel system on my house, but then was not able to do it. I have also dreamed of wind power since I was a child. I even made a five foot blade out of a 2 by 6 with a skill saw when I was a kid. That thing spun like crazy on a twenty foot tower.

Good for you getting off the grid.

11/03/2005 05:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home