Monday, November 21, 2005

A Necessity

It sometimes feels like an extravagance, an expensive indulgence, an unwise use of money. Fortunately, these emotions are fleeting and irrational.

My wife and I own a motorhome. We lived in it full-time for two and a half years and it was easy to justify the cost. Now, in addition to occasional trips, we pay a small amount to store it near Phoenix and, each month during the winter, we spend a couple weekends in it at a resort – hot tubs, swimming pools, sunlight, warm weather and, most important, new friends.

There’s something unusual about the people we meet. They refuse to act their age.

This past weekend we met Ray and Freida. Here are a few details about them.
  • Born in the UK.
  • Live in British Columbia.
  • He was in the Navy during the end of WWII.
  • Live on 5 acres in a forty year old mobile home.
  • Spend half the year traveling.
  • Motorcycled and tandem bicycled Europe.
  • Traveled throughout much of the US.
  • Lived a portion of the last 19 winters in Arizona.
  • Recently added a side car to their motorcycle.
If you saw them you would under-estimate their ages by 15 years!

The people – the OLD people -- we meet who own a recreational vehicle and travel tend to be happy, healthy, energetic, mentally sharp, really alive, vigorous, positive, bright, . . . – and the list goes on and on.

Last winter, at a resort, I met a man wearing a baseball cap that I recognized. It related to an article I read in a WWII magazine about a group of really old sailors who went to the Mediterranean to repair and sail an LST back to the US. He was part of the crew! It was fascinating talking with him.

I don’t know the cause/effect relationship. Do healthy/happy people own RVs or does owning and using an RV cause a person to be healthier and happier? Is it neither or both? Doesn’t matter, I’m not going to take a chance. I’m going to keep my RV and continue using it. It's not an extravagance; it's a necessity. I may not live longer but I’ll definitely keep good company!

Hope to see you down the road some day.

12 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't think I could ever actually manage to drive one of those things, or if I could, I could never afford to. But it would be nice to try just once.

11/21/2005 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

We've had occasion to visit people in these mobile home communities that hunker down around little harbors here in Washington, and I will say that theit 'character' is just as you say. They are outgoing, joyous, and build relationships very fast. Just a delight.

11/21/2005 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I don't think it's actually about the vehicle as much as it's about people choosing the path!

The most elderly people I know are those who allow life to control them and give up on their dreams rather than take the risks involved in realizing them.

Then again, not all of them are acting their age either, some of them are in their twenties.

11/21/2005 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Red Bark said...

It sounds like a good lifestyle.

11/21/2005 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Gaye said...

The adventure keeps them young; a life without adventure is a life without passion. Without this passion for life, growing old is not a very graceful thing. Happy Motoring!!!

11/21/2005 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Does a small tent strapped to the sissy bars of a motorcycle count?

Put on the coffee pot. I drink my strong and black.

11/21/2005 02:44:00 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Welcome home. Curiosity keeps us young. I think it's important to maintain an explorer's spirit, and go off to discover what's round the next bend.

11/21/2005 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

My husband is 59 and I sometimes have to remind him how old he is! I think from hanging out with me he starts to forget. But I love that about him. When I start to feel down or depressed about something, his bright smile and playfulness always warms my day. I wouldn't really trade his youthfulness in for anything.

By the way, we don't own a motorhome but earlier this year we bought a Starcraft van to go camping in. We slept in it our first time at Cape Hatteras campground. It was nice!

11/21/2005 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Round Belly said...

Only the young at heart can afford those things. Those of us with a half dozen tots running around would never survive the additional changes motorhoming would bring. Life seems to brings us enough changes everyday. ("who took my car keys?"...."They did what with them?")

11/21/2005 07:43:00 PM  
Blogger Round Belly said...

I was just thinking about this post and remembering my great grandparents. In thier 80's they would take thier motor home to Texas for the winter. Where my blind Grandpa would buid picnic tables. Being alittle kid they were always "Old" to me, but now I realize how much they were alive.- thanks

11/22/2005 07:52:00 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

The best I can manage by comparison is a bicycle. I like riding it although I haven't met any new friends doing so! :)

Your motorhome must be great fun.

11/22/2005 03:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! :) And not only with vehicles: enjoying and being optimistic really makes you shine, and this way others will realize that the only way to be happy is this one. Cause bad things will always exist, and what we must do is focus on the good ones, so that the rest lose the importance they want to take :)

11/23/2005 08:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home