Sunday, November 13, 2005

Being Made New

A lone condor circled above the Grand Canyon in front of a deep blue sky and moved gracefully without visible movement of wing tips or tail.

After we left a restaurant, I looked up to see if it was still there but saw an empty sky. As we walked along the canyon rim, I heard the excited voice of an older oriental woman speaking a language I could not understand but I was able to understand one word – condor! I saw her husband raise his camera and watched the smiles and anticipation and excitement on their faces. The bird was flying in a tight circle, coming close to us as it descended into the canyon. It looked healthy, strong and beautiful - and it was a raven. I smiled and watched the couple for a minute and soaked up their excitement and went on my way without attempting to tell them it was not a condor. It was a win-win experience.

Recreation is an interesting word: re-creation. When recreating we are being made new. This older couple didn’t need to see a condor nor did they need educated. They needed to be made new and this was happening as they explored, experienced and shared discoveries together. I was made new as I shared their excitement.

Julie and I will spend Christmas in Amsterdam. We will search out new experiences and explore the mysteries we find in The Netherlands. Hopefully, the cycle will repeat itself. Things that we will find amazing and don’t understand will draw our attention and native Dutch people will watch us and smile. We will be re-created and life will take on a magical freshness.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Christmas in Amsterdam sounds good to me. Maybe the canals will freeze while you're there and you can watch people skating on them.

11/13/2005 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I would love to go back to the Netherlands for the very reason you indicate - to see it again, but through new eyes. I mostly remember the architecture and the lace-making, but now I'd enjoy the people. Have a great trip.

11/13/2005 08:49:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

It is magical to be new. It's also painful.

11/13/2005 01:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home