Saturday, November 12, 2005

I Was Left Wanting More

An amazing thing happened yesterday.

It had been a good day. We had hiked and taken photos. It just felt good to be alive. After we arrived back in town we parked and started to cross the street. A car was coming so I hesitated and waited for it to pass but the driver stopped and motioned for us to cross. I smiled and waved thank you. After crossing the driver waved and once again I smiled and waved back.

About 10 minutes after crossing the street a man about my age with a white beard called out to me. “My wife said that if we lived here, you and I would be good friends.” It was the driver.

I smiled, laughed and replied “Really? Why did she say that?”

“Because there’s something about your smile!” He laughed and slapped me on the shoulder. We exchanged a few more words and went on our way.

I was left wanting more. He spoke with a British accent which meant he had experiences and knowledge and perspectives on life that would be interesting and I wanted to get to know him. He was outgoing and friendly and that’s the kind of people who make life good and fun and exciting. He touched me – a stranger – and that’s rare. It took confidence and genuineness.

I felt good before that chance meeting but I felt great after that brief friendship. I many never meet him again. I hope I do and I hope I meet more people like him.

By the way, my smile had nothing to do with this adventure in friendship. I wouldn’t have smiled if he hadn’t been a kind person who stopped to let me cross the street. His kindness brought out the smile.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

I had a similar experience yesterday!

11/12/2005 05:00:00 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

Are you two guys shape-shifting and astral projecting again? I'm going to tell Mom!

11/12/2005 06:11:00 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I love those experiences; they remind me why I'm happy to be here now.

P.S. I moved (and changed my nom de plume)after all.

11/12/2005 06:59:00 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

I believe this experience would have happened whether you smiled or not...after seeing your picture I felt the same thing...there's a kindness and an intelligence that exudes from you. Very interesting posts; I will read you daily; and enjoy getting to know you.
PS--the cache is a wonderful idea; I will borrow the concept if you don't mind and use it when I have grandkids.

11/12/2005 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Surely that would be the hightlight of my day, had it happened to me. What a wonderful exchange. (And, it was your lovely photo that brought me here - you look so kind.)

11/12/2005 09:07:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Never underestimate the effect of a smile, or the power of touch. I do hope you meet the man again.

11/12/2005 10:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...something about your smile!” That's been your TM for YEARS! Then the encouraging voice is for those of us who have been touched (and rescued) in unforgettable ways...

12/07/2009 10:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home