Sunday, January 30, 2011

Twenty-Four

Last year I made a mistake that I don't intend to repeat this year. I sought and received approvals (team lead, director and VP) to reduce from thirty-two hours per week to twenty-four. The team lead who is my immediate supervisor approved the request but asked that I continue at thirty-two hours since one person was retiring in December and another was planning on leaving. We have a great relationship so I agreed to remain at my current work level.

During the course of the year the director left and another person was assigned to the position. Fortunately I've known this man for almost ten years. I approached him about reducing my hours and he was receptive. Last week I approached my supervisor and received a verbal OK.

My reasons for cutting back are mainly physical. Research indicates the more hours a person sits the greater the negative impact on health and longevity. I have far more energy and less stiffness in my knees on weekends when I'm more active.

So, hopefully, I'll begin working twenty-four hours on July 1. I've never enjoyed rigidity and am open to changes in my schedule if the work load dictates. If things evolve the way I hope then I'll work six hours per day Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters to match Julie's schedule and I'll work eight hours per day Tuesday through Thursday during the summers when Julie is off work.

How much longer will I continue to work? I'm not certain, maybe another eight years until I'm about 72. Basically I enjoy my job and the people with whom I work. Currently I'm working on a problem that's a little challenging and I'm actually looking forward to picking up the problem tomorrow morning. Often my job is like a game, like trying to solve a puzzle. It sometimes has a feeling of art as in "This works but is there a more elegant solution?". Being physically active is important but there are social and mental benefits from continued work even though there is no financial necessity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess it depends on the kind of job and whether you can reduce hours. My job, you either did or didn't do it, and it was becoming too much for me. Seems like you have a good situation there.

1/31/2011 07:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home