Monday, March 01, 2010

Wonderful Experience

We successfully finished the scuba class. As we drove home Julie commented "That's the most difficult thing I've ever done. It was much more demanding than carrying a backpack in 100 degrees".

The class involved ten hours of classroom instruction. We learned the physics of diving, the use of tables to calculate safe limits for single and repetitive dives to minimize the danger of decompression sickness, hand signals for communicating, safety stops and other necessary subjects.

We had eight hours at the University pool where we learned about equipment and practiced necessary skills. In the pool we removed masks and mouthpieces, replaced them and cleared them of water. There were several other skills to learn and demonstrate proficiency.

Julie and I were buddies so we practiced signaling out of air and using each others alternate air sources and other emergency skills.

Part of the requirements included swimming 200 yards without equipment (face mask, fins, snorkel or flotation devices) followed by floating for 10 minutes.

There was a lot of instruction and physical activity packed into the pool sessions. Everyone confessed to going home Saturday evening, having supper and going to bed early.

We've completed the classroom and pool instruction. To get certified we need to do the open water checkout which is four dives where we demonstrate the skills that we've learned. We're considering doing the checkout in San Carlos, Mexico, which is on the mainland side of the Gulf of California between the Baja California Peninsula and the Mexican mainland.

This afternoon as we walked for exercise around campus and discussed the weekend Julie made another comment "It was a wonderful experience". I agree.


Blogger Malcolm said...

it all sounds pretty intensive, albeit rewarding. Looking forward to seeing some underwater photos once you become fully fledged. Congratulations on your success thus far!

3/02/2010 01:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home