Friday, December 18, 2009

Circuit

Today I began my 64th circuit of the sun. It was a good day like any other day and was in no way special. But, as it comes to a close, perhaps it does merit some reflection for some unconscious reason.

I've never had a plan for my life, no major goals, no desire to be wealthy, famous, powerful, successful. My most valued goal has been to be independent, able to care for myself, to enjoy life, grow old and die without harming others or having a negative impact on the universe. A jackrabbit is a good model. I watch them come and go but see little sign of their passing. Perhaps that is as it should be.

Photo at 21.
I was 21 when this photo was taken and thought my life was over. I would be an old man of 25 before a four year enlistment ended and I regained my freedom.

In my mid-forties I think I made great strides toward becoming more fully human. I know I enjoy life much more in the last third of my life than I did in the previous third.

Occasionally I wonder what I've learned in almost two-thirds of a century that I can consider true. Is there a supreme being? Not certain. What of religion, any religion? All appear to have good and bad aspects. What of people? A confusing mixture of selfishness and altruism. Most of the things I once thought to be true I've rejected. But, this may be one of life's best blessings. What joy could life hold without mystery and a journey?

Photo at 62.
This photo was taken six months ago. I'm older, no wiser but far more content than in the above photo.

If pressured, I think I would identify three temporal truths that I've learned.

Third, the most important skills one needs are relationship skills. To relate to people, to inspire and be inspired, to befriend, to connect, to engage and to mark boundaries are the most critical competencies one can develop.

Second, the most important decision in life involves the choice of a mate. Selecting a major in college, a job or career path, an investment strategy, a house and a family doctor are trivial by comparison.

First and foremost is accepting, liking and making peace with oneself, being committed to learning, growing and maintaining a positive attitude.

My life is not perfect but I'm content and happy. My sixty-fourth circuit promises to be an enjoyable ride into the unknown.

2 Comments:

Blogger MojoMan said...

I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about the "truth." At times we seem to live in a world of lies. Corporations lie to us. Government lies to us. We lie to each other. We lie to ourselves.

I'm trying hard not to lie to others. More difficult, I'm trying not to lie to myself. If I can stop doing that, dealing with the rest should be easy.

12/27/2009 07:00:00 AM  
Anonymous paul said...

this is a great site about the new mystery religion! http://www.moneyteachers.org/Egyptian%20Religions.htm

1/04/2010 01:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home