Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Snow Day and a Half

We we got to work there was an inch or two of snow on the ground. I had a long meeting (2 hours) on north campus at 9 AM and by the time I walked north the snow had passed two inches in depth.

The meeting ended at 11 AM and I started walking south, a distance of over one-half mile. The show was getting deeper and was beautiful. Kids were building snowmen and carrying sleds as they walked toward a small hill. As I walked under a tree I heard something, turned and saw no one behind me.

When I got back to my building I brushed the snow off my coat, stepped inside and sat my coffee cup on a table to dry my glasses. I noticed a cup full of snow. The lid was missing.

About thirteen years ago I flew to Little Rock, Arkansas, (or was it San Antonio, Texas?) to meet a friend. We were walking near some store when she said "wait here!". Later in the weekend she gave me the coffee cup. Over the years the logo wore off the cup and a nick or two appeared on one side. The lid has a rubber O-ring that swells up when filled with hot coffee and seals the cup. Apparently the cold weather caused the ring to shrink and the lid popped off the empty cup as I swung my arms while walking.

I quickly retraced my steps. Small snow plows were cleaning the walks and I hoped a plow hadn't buried the lid. I found the lid below the tree where I heard the strange sound while walking back to my office. I found the lid and I got to walk almost two miles in beautiful snow.

Back in my office I found a message that the campus was closing at noon. Julie and probably a few thousand students got their wish. A snow day.

Technology and snow don't coesist well. Last night we had no TV or Internet. Snow and clouds were blocking the satellites. We read and listened to a DVD of "Playing for Change". After it stopped snowing I took a broom and cleaned off the satellite dishes and services were restored.

Last night we received a message at 6 PM that the campus would be closed today. We have about one inch of snow but town has about two feet from what we're heard.

The sun is out, there are seven new blossoms on the Hibiscus, we've had breakfast, Julie is stretching and we're planning on walking before starting tasks. Julie is going to make bread and I'm going to make the final connections for the hot and cold water lines in the new utility room.

It's a beautiful snow day in my neighbourhood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I HATE you Paul! Not one flake ever falls on Pendragon Hold....sigh.....

12/08/2009 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Hodgens said...

Paul

Nice that the voice from the past said hello.

Tim

12/08/2009 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

No snow days here yet. Maybe later today, but probably not in time to affect schools.

12/09/2009 05:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home