Friday, March 06, 2009

Determined!

It's been a two year process and I'm nearing a major milestone.

Two years ago I completed the master gardener class and began construction on an attached greenhouse that morphed into a sun room. Last summer I planted peppers and tomatoes in containers while Julie mothered potted deck flowers. In the fall I moved the peppers and tomatoes inside and I began gathering materials for raised garden beds, started stockpiling horse and llama manure and began planning a garden. Recently Julie and I visited a couple who live a few miles from us. He works for a nursery in Flagstaff and is gardening in an environment similar to mine, "guerilla gardening" as he calls it. Through trial and error he's learned what works and what doesn't work.

Splitting a beam for a raised bed.
Splitting an 8 by 12 beam for a raised bed.. (Larger version)


The last beam split.
The last beam is split and ready for installation. (Larger version)


Over the last three weekend's I've been constructing the raised beds. Now, I have them built and am at the point of filling them with amended soil. Tomorrow morning I'm picking up a load of metal garage doors. I'll bury the metal panels below a fence to prevent rabbits and moles from digging under the fence and getting into the garden. The garage door panels are a little unconventional but they are recycled and less expensive than other solutions.

There are several things to be completed: a garden shed, cold frames, a compost area, cisterns placed and plumbed to the beds and the roof for rainwater harvesting and several other items.

The first bed nears completion.
The first bed nears completion. (Larger version)


This spring I'll plant a garden, That's the milestone that I'm anticipating. Hopefully, it will do fairly well. I don't expect much because I'll have to learn what works. The peppers I planted last summer never produced until I moved them inside. I was unable to protect them from the wind so this summer I'll try another idea. (On the bright side, I picked peppers a few weeks ago and now have a second crop on the plants.)

Master gardener name tag.
Master gardener name tag.


When I finished the master gardener program I received a name tag that I've never worn and probably will never wear. Master? Hardly. I don't feel like a master but I'm determined to learn.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I WILL be following this closely, Obiwan.

3/07/2009 04:10:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You don't do things by half measures. And that's a good thing.

3/07/2009 09:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home