Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Still Alive

I'm still alive but the weather is warmer, the sun is up longer and blogging is dropping on the priority list. I plan on posting more frequently but summers are always a feast of working and playing outside.

This year a new complication involves the change in my work schedule to four 10 hour days. After sitting at a computer for hours I have a desire and need to close the lid and do something physical rather than blogging.

Here's a quick, rambling, disconnected summary of the last month or so.

The winter is over and the solar room addition has exceeded my expectations. I need -- yes, NEED -- to get on my soap box and write more about that. Everyone should have one! Or, maybe two. I bought a used seven by four feet green house window with operable vents. The cost was $75 so I couldn't pass it by. I don't have a need for it at the moment but I'll build something and use it.

Julie and I spent six weekends in the valley. It was a good experience to leave the cold weather and our isolated life to live in the motorhome with neighbors surrounding us just a few feet away. I quick learned I'm not ready to retire to that life. Hot tubs, swimming pools, karaoke, dances, billiards, ping pong and other forms of recreation are enjoyable but not without a mixture of some serious work.

Last week was spring break. Months ago we made plans to spend the week in Death Valley but changed them in favor of a visit to Julie's family in Amarillo and Borger, Texas. It was an enjoyable trip. Her mother is fading into Alzheimers but during the time we were there she had good days.

A co-worked passed away last Saturday. About two years ago he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He took a trip to Ireland with his wife, has surgery in June of 2006 but was never able to return to work. He was in his mid-fifties at most. I feel for his wife.

My son came by unexpectedly for two days. I hadn't seen him for about a year and a half so I took vacation and spent time with him. It wasn't the longest visit but it was the best time we've had together in 20 years.

I bought a new toy! I owned two trailers but neither was suitable for heavy loads. I bought a 5 by 10 utility tailer with tandem 3,500 pounds axles. Now I can haul 500 gallons of water, pallets of stone, a couple yards of crushed glass and other materials. This trailer is part of my plan for a fun retirement and a slow healthy decline to death's door.

New Trailer.
New Toy. (Larger version)


Next week I hope to get 14 yards of soil delivered. By fall I plan on having raised garden beds, a tight fence and hungry frustrated rabbits. Wood rats can climb a fence but I'm planning a surprise for them.

This Friday Julie and I have a trip planned with four others to Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon. We'll hike down via the South Kaibab trail on Friday, spend Friday and Saturday nights in gender segregated dorms and come out on Sunday via the Bright Angel trail. Pictures next week!

Well, that's my world for now. Time to get back to work!

3 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Good to hear from you, Paul.

3/25/2008 09:40:00 PM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Well you are full of energy, Paul. I envy you. I understand the feeling about blogging. Work takes precedence, and sometimes work consumes all the computer time. I'm getting deeper and deeper into preparations for a monthly Bible study that Ellie and I lead at Gainesville Friends Meeting. Then there's my Blake 'book' and my Bible commentary, and tennis, etc. etc.

Next week we're going back to N.O., our native land, to see family. Haven't been there since Katrina. Much of what we knew is gone, but the best is still there. Son Mark plans to spend some time doing architectural work there; he's a native there, too.

Life is so full. My friend Jon just wrote, "I'm not alive; I'm life." Wow!

3/26/2008 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Me, I'm lusting after a small pick-up.......

3/27/2008 05:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home