Tuesday, February 05, 2008

An Excellent Idea

It wasn’t my idea. In fact, at first I didn’t think much of it but I agreed to consider it. Julie is always coming up with excellent ideas. Julie suggested we rent an RV site for the month of February at the resort near Phoenix where we store our motor home. She proposed we leave after work on Thursday, spend three days in the valley and return for work on Monday morning. Normally we go down one or two weekends a month during the winter and spend one night. A portion of our visit is devoted to moving the RV and set up when we arrive and close up and moving it to a storage area before we leave. By renting a site we can leave it set up and arrive after the office is closed. A few minutes of consideration and I was in agreement.

Last Friday we packed a few things, drove south, set up the motor home, had a bite of lunch and thawed out in the hot tub. Saturday was sunny and warm. I put on a short sleeved tee shirt and felt comfortable. She chose a restaurant for lunch in town to celebrate her birthday and we had an enjoyable day. On Saturday evening we finished the last three of fifteen episodes of the BBC production of Charles Dicken’s Bleak House”.

We would have preferred to stay until Monday morning but heavy snow was in the forecast for Flagstaff and it seemed wise to head home on Sunday afternoon. The forecast was correct. I counted four cars abandoned in the median just south of Flagstaff and the snow was building up.

On Monday morning we were dressed for work and ready to sit down to breakfast when I decided to check the University’s website. We had about an inch of snow but town had more and there was the remote possibility that classes were cancelled. We got an unexpected day off because the University was closed due to snow. I spent a good part of the day cleaning my work shed and organizing tools.

But, all is not fun, games and playing. Last week the left turn signal on our car stopped working. I took a quick look in the cold twilight and couldn’t find the problem so I left it for the warm weekend. After checking the easiest items I decided to remove the lower dash so I could get to the flasher and check wiring under the dash. After checking the flasher with a meter I reinstalled it and the turn signal began working. There was no obvious sign of corrosion but I disconnected it again and spayed it with a cleaner. It’s worked consistently since.

We’ve planned some work for the remaining three weekends. This weekend we’ll work on some projects on Friday, spend the day at a Renaissance Fair on Saturday and spend part of the day by the pool on Sunday.

Since we had a snow day on Monday, this is going to be a short week of only three work days. On Thursday evening we’ll head south again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I only wish classes had been cancelled for an inch of snow when I was teaching. :)

2/06/2008 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

I miss the warmth of Phoenix in winter. Of course we did the opposite of you. When we yearned for a real feel of winter, we visited Flagstaff, or at the very least - Payson.

2/06/2008 07:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home