Thursday, February 01, 2007

Weapon at the Airport

“Think, think, think! What options do we have?”

We were outside the Louisville airport with a bag containing a dangerous weapon and had to dispose of it. We tried to check it but the attendant refused.

“Go ahead. Check the bag and if security confiscates it, I’ll accept that.”

“I can’t do that” she replied.

“Let me break it into two parts and put one part in each bag.”

“No, I can’t do that because someone may get hold of it?

“How?” I wondered. “It will be in two bags in the belly of the plane.” I thought it but didn’t say it because it was useless.

Our first option was to mail or ship it to ourselves. The cabbie wanted to take up to the far side of Louisville to a UPS store. Cost and time eliminated that option and he didn’t know of a closer location.

I thought of asking the woman who checked in the rental car to send it to me and I would pay her for her time and trouble. She was a pleasant, smiling, happy, helpful person. She would have remembered me because I thanked her and complimented her on her attitude and helpfulness.

“We could find a trash can in a secluded spot and drop it” I suggested to Julie.

While I waited outside with the weapon, Julie decided to go back to the check-in counter and ask for other options. It was suggested that she check with the airport police. That was a useless attempt – until she said the magic words.

“I’ll guess we’ll have to find a trash can and dispose of it.”

“Oh, no! That will make more work for us.”

The officer became more helpful at that point. He suggested that he fill out a lost item report and we give it to him and he would take it to lost and found. We could arrange for UPS for FEDEX to pick it up and ship it to us.

Perfect! That’s what we did and we made our plane on time

But … Yep, there’s always that darned but!

(Sorry, I have a meeting. I’ll finish this tomorrow! I don't mean I'm sorry that I can't finish it now. I mean that I'm sorry that I have a danged meeting.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

You are wrong doing, Paul. How big was your smile when you ended this without the punchline?

2/01/2007 05:02:00 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

So that was you.

[laughing in Louisville]

2/01/2007 07:51:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When we flew back from Phoenix last spring, they confiscated a pair of Cuppa's nail scissors ... to keep our skies safe, y'know.

2/01/2007 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger Kindness said...

will be back tomorrow since you now have me wondering what was the weapon? and of course that darned but... :-)

2/02/2007 10:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home