Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Curiosity

I wonder what’s in this book. I have two degrees in the field and know what it’s supposed to say but, what does it really say? Recently, after fifteen year hiatus, I picked up a New Testament and began reading.

I’m not looking for truth or wisdom. I’m not seeking entertainment. It’s curiosity. What does it say? What’s the message? I wonder how many people have read it with an open mind void of preconceptions.

Religion is a mystery to me. Why do people need to believe in eternity, heaven, hell, a spiritual realm and an ecclesiastical structure that absolves them of responsibility?

I’ve heard it said that Ghandi read the Bible and made some statement to be effect that he would become a Christian if he ever met one. Myself, I must say that I don’t want to be identified with Christians because I’ve met many.

I’ve learned that my life improves, enriches and becomes more satisfying, content and euphoric the more I take responsibility for myself and immerse myself in the natural world and flawed people.

What does this book really say? I’m curious. Throughout history, it’s been the source of many wonderful acts of compassion, humanity and lovingkindness. Unfortunately, it has been the inspiration for much evil, destruction, suffering and hatred.

What does this book really say? I’m curious.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Man stood under the canopy of the night sky and gazed toward the stars. He was cold, frightened, alone, and ill equipped to deal with the rigors the unforgiving environment thrust upon him - and thus he created god in his own image. A god to love and protect him. A god to punish him. A god whom he could lay blame or give thanks to.

11/29/2006 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

The new testament, or at least the version that survived the edits, says many things, in such an archaic and convoluted fashion that you can pretty much get it to say anything you want it to, depending on your own personal agenda. I have seen the new, and old, testament being used to justify just about any kind of behaviors and beliefs you could possibly think of. The Koran, from what I've read of it, is even worse, which explains why it has been twisted to justify the worst kinds of evils imaginable.

11/29/2006 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I confess that I cannot read "the book" without my old filters of interpretation coming into play. Maybe yours were/are less deep, however.

11/29/2006 04:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced there is much to learn from that book, my love, but I struggle with filters, like anvilcloud. I would enjoy discovering it, fresh and new, with you if you don't mind company.

11/29/2006 06:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home