Monday, November 20, 2006

Bewildered in a Lava Tube

A better man might be ashamed to admit it. We got lost. Well, perhaps that’s not quite accurate. To use Daniel Boone’s phrase, we were “bewildered” for a few moments.

Entrance to Lava River Cave
Entrance to Lava River Cave.


Juile’s sister and brother-in-law spent the weekend with us. Chis and I decided to explore Lava River Cave which is a lava tube near Flagstaff. The tube extends three-quarters of a mile underground and varies in height from 30 feet to about 3 feet. At one point the cave splits into two passages that join again. It’s impossible to get lost. I’ve been there before and have taken both forks and have been to the end of the cave.

We took the right fork and followed it for what seemed like the right distance to a point were it forks again. Taking the left fork should have taken us back toward the entrance to the cave and to the point there the cave originally forked. As we turned left, the cave was choked with rock that had fallen from the roof and we had to crouch in the low clearance. We climbed up the rock fall and came back into a large area and turned right since we weren’t planning on going to the end of the cave.

Near the entrance to the cave.
Near the entrance to the cave.


As I looked back, I knew I had never seen the small opening before. It was possible to walk by it in the dark. We definitely weren’t in the spot that I expected.

“What the heck? Oh, well. Either we’re right or we’re wrong.”

Turns out, I was wrong. We continued into the cave well passed the half-mile mark before we turned and retraced our steps.

Look at the photos. How could someone get bewildered? It's like getting lost crossing the Golden Gate Bridge! Life has one more mystery. Now, I’ve got to go back again and find that small opening and figure out how a right and a left and a second right was wrong. This challenges the laws of the universe!

Anyone want to go with me? I won't get us lost. Honest! Trust me.


 About half way into the cave
About half way into the cave.

4 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

No way! Sounds like a recipe for a nightmare.

For a dude with a macho facade I sure have a lot of phobias.

11/20/2006 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

I'll do it.......I like a challenge
Besides Think it would be fun.....

11/20/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

Never! Caves and I don't get along. I need lots of open space, and I definitely need to see the sky!

11/21/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I would go with you if I could, but my lady wouldn't much like being closed in like that. However, she would gladly share a cuppa with you (see above post). Happy TG to you!!

11/22/2006 04:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home