Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Young Lovers

Her face glowed with the radiance of a young love in the flush of infatuation. She was smiling as she extended her arms across the table to receive the hands reaching for her touch.

Four of us were eating breakfast but I was the only one sitting in a position to watch the young lovers. I was enjoying watching them. It reminded me of the feelings of infatuation, passion and blind love that I felt when young. Watching them talk non-stop brought out a vivid memory of Julie and I in a restaurant in Lubbock, Texas laughing, talking, eating and feeling euphoric.

I glanced their way occasionally. When the young lady looked my way, I tried to maintain an appropriate expression on my face. I didn’t want to make them feel self-conscious nor did I want them to think I disapproved of their public show of affection.

I was curious about the recipient of her attention. My curiosity was rewarded when the other young lady turned her head and I was able to see her face shining from within her long hair. Both of the young women were attractive.

Breakfast was enjoyable that morning. Julie and I were looking forward to hiking in the Dragoons. Deb and Chris added to the enjoyment as we discussed our separate plans for the day and discussed meeting that evening. The young ladies added to the bright and hopeful atmosphere and the feeling of gratitude for being alive and in love with Julie and with life.

I was raised to be prejudiced against people unlike myself. I'm glad – so very glad – that I unlearned those lessons and replaced them with more tolerance and compassion.

I wish the young women well. May they find the happiness that I’ve found with Julie.

6 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

The differences between "us" and "them," whomever "them" may be, is minute. It makes it all seem a bit silly.

Well told.

11/28/2006 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This Daddy of a girl blesses you.

11/28/2006 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I mean "a girl" like those.

11/28/2006 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

I just shake my head in confusion. How can some people get so upset at love and happiness like that and pay no attention to, or even applaud, murder and injustice.

11/29/2006 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger robin andrea said...

What a wonderful moment! Everyone should know that rushing moment of love, and acceptance.

11/29/2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

I came over via THE Michael. I love the way you write! I will be visiting again.

11/29/2006 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home