Thursday, January 12, 2006

Day Dreaming

“We wont’ get stung?”

“No, they won’t sting.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

One evening I heard about a swarm of bees on a bush about three feet off the ground and phoned a friend who had an empty hive. Next morning, he met me as the sun was starting to rise and I was took him to the spot. I was young, dressed in a tee shirt and shorts. Also, I was a little skeptical. How many bees are then in a tightly packed swarm larger than a basketball?

I held a box under the swarm and he cut the branch. The swarm dropped into the box, a few bees began flying around us – and nothing else happened!

Since that day I’ve wanted a bee hive. Yesterday, I went to the local community college to enroll for classes in grey water, rain water harvesting and solar applications. I noticed a class in bee keeping and enrolled in it also. A bee hive may be in my future.

Another dream of mine is to raise rhubarb. That may sound strange as a “dream” but there’s a small problem. I’ve planted rhubarb three times in my life and moved soon afterwards, leaving the rhubarb for someone else to enjoy. Just once, before I die, I like to eat rhubarb that I raised.

Yesterday, I took a break in a bookstore and browsed a copy of “The Official Arizona Trail Guide”. The trail starts at the Mexican border and terminates at the Utah border -- almost 800 miles in length. I’m a member of the Arizona Trail Association and plan on hiking the entire trail in one continuous hike. Originally, Julie and I had the hike tentatively planned for next spring but it appears that’s not going to happen. That’s OK. It will still be there year after next.

We going to Yellowstone National Park in June and have discussed trading our motorcycle for something larger and making the trip by motorcycle. It’s just a dream at this point.

Why am I rambling on about dreams? Dreams enrich my life and make me feel alive – very alive. I can’t imagine fearing the future or not having dreams.

Dreams and goals enrich my life but shouldn’t limit it. I may never hike the Arizona trail or raise rhubarb or have a bee hive. If I get the opportunity to hike Australia, visit Easter Island and trek across Europe in one huge, extended adventure then I’m taking the opportunity and postponing the Arizona Trail and these other dreams.

Occasionally, I like to imagine my life at the moment of my last breath. I want to live now so that I’ll be able to say at that moment “It was fun. I lived some of my dreams.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Gaye said...

Dreams keep us alive; don't they? I have dreams too; at this point I keep them to myself--keeps naysayers at bay... My dreams would surprise many; but they're as comfortable as a soft cuddly blanket inside my head... WELCOME BACK Paul!!

1/12/2006 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Without our dreams what do we have?

1/12/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Your post has a nice energy in it.

1/12/2006 04:06:00 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

All of your dreams are very adventuresome. I wish you well. I'm dreaming about dreaming. Yes, I'd like a good sleep.

1/12/2006 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

You have, and are, my friend, living dreams that shall always remain mere dreams to me. However, Bob somehow saw fit to enable you to enjoy these things, and then pass the essence of them on to us, in order that we might share the joy of your experiences, if only by discription and photo's. I myself hold you in equal if not higher esteem than the discovery chanel, which, unfortunately, I haven't for years been able to afford the cable access to. For all that I thank you, friend.

1/12/2006 08:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home