Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The December Grouchies

To me, Christmas has become just plain weird and irritating. I tend to get a little grouchy in December.

In the building in which I work is a box titled “Providing Warmth to the Community”. We are asked to donate warm clothing and blankets. This morning the temperature is minus 1 but we’ll wait until Christmas to distribute the clothing and blankets. I miss the logic of waiting.

I’m expected to buy gifts for grandchildren who need for nothing material. The gifts they want don’t necessarily contribute to healthy development and the welfare of the world. I refuse to purchase video games that portray war, illegal and irresponsible behavior and a lack of reverence for life. I don’t feel good about buying DVDs that will cause them to sit and be a passive spectator. What to do?

In my previous life I refused some gifts and returned them unopened. My former mother-in-law would get angry with me and not speak to me for months at a time and then arrive with a Christmas gift! No thank you. Don’t feel obligated at Christmas. Meet me half-way each day of the year, please.

Julie and I received $200 week before last as a Christmas gift. We’re debating what to do with the money. There’s nothing we want or need. If we do want or need, we can purchase it ourselves. I wonder how the giver would feel if he received a thank you card stating that we donated the money to a worthy charity?

Here’s what I want for Christmas. Have a cup of coffee with me and let’s talk – I’ll buy. Tell me how you’re doing and the plans you have for the future. What have you been reading that’s caused you to wonder and be amazed at our world? Share stories with me about your children and grandchildren. Gifts will wear out, break, get lost, become obsolete. The memories we'll make will stay with us and improve with time.

That’s what I want for Christmas. Better yet, let’s not wait until Christmas. Let’s do it today.

11 Comments:

Blogger Round Belly said...

I agree,
What is this obsession with feeling obligated to purchase things for others that they do not need?

This Chrsitmas my husbadnd and I will be making cookies with the kids to send to those we would other wise feel obligated to buy for.

They do not need the cookies, but the little thought that they are remembered and special is what counts.

12/06/2005 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Obligatory gifts are a burden. A gift of love, a gift well thought - it says I love you.

A gift of love is the best gift of all.

12/06/2005 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

If a gift brings joy to the giver, then it is to received with gratefulness, but you speak of the obligation of giving and the hypocrisy of that, and I concur.

12/06/2005 09:12:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Coffee tomorrow at ten? But you have to come here. lol

12/06/2005 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Fair trade coffee. Black, please. And Merry Christmas, fellows.

12/06/2005 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Good healthy post. Thank you.
Do they serve tea in Arizona? :>)

12/06/2005 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

"to wonder and be amazed at our world'...that's what blogging is all about, and to share it with others. It's about sharing.

12/06/2005 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

For a grouchy guy, you've got some pretty great ideas. :)

12/06/2005 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Gaye said...

I don't drink coffee; but for a visit talking with you I would make an exception--you are a wise man.

12/06/2005 07:43:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew May said...

Paul you are a wise man. :)As I was reading your post I had all kinda emotions going through me up until your last paragraph.

The best gifts come from the heart and those gifts never wear out, break, or get lost.

Great Post..one of the best Christmas posts ive read. :)

12/06/2005 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger DeborahDrake said...

To find others who hold it in their way of being that every day is for being in compassionate relationships, for being in communication and that the simple act of communicating is a gift like no other is well...oh wait I feel a moment of pure snow white bliss coming on...a virtual toast to this sweet and ever expanding community of lovers. Deb

12/13/2005 03:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home