Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Mystery

I don’t drink. Reason number one: I don’t enjoy the taste. Reason number two: I dislike feeling fuzzy brained. Reason number three: there are too many alcoholics on both sides of my family.

My first wife’s uncle’s mission in life was to get me to drink. Why? I don’t know.

One Saturday evening at a wedding reception he continued to harass me. In part because I didn’t feel like I was getting support from my wife, I finally said “OK, bring me something but don’t mix anything in it.” I don’t like the taste and the few mixed drinks I had tasted were worse than straight alcohol. He brought a glass – a large glass - of straight whiskey. I drank it. He brought another. I drank it. When I began to feel the effects I asked a brother-in-law to drive me home. I got up, walked out to the car, had the sense to know it was about to come up before I got into the car, took care of that little problem, got into the car, went home and went to bed. On Sunday morning about six AM I went to a restaurant in town and had breakfast. I ate it and ordered a second breakfast and went on with my life. End of story!

Never again did this uncle offer me a drink. Why? I don't know; perhaps, because I didn't make an ass of myself and it wasn't any fun for him.

People are a mystery to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaye said...

"People are a mystery to me." Ever get tired of trying to figure them out? That's where I am right now. If you find someone that actually knows how to act with some sense and be a friend; proceed with caution; they've probably got their own agenda that will be revealed after you've opened up to them. Pessimistic--yep--I hope it's part of my healing process. If not; oh well...

11/26/2005 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

'people are a mystery'
Yes I see that more and more!
I'm beginning to see this mystery as part of the fun of the ride...

11/26/2005 02:46:00 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

You represented a challenge to him because you wouldn't drink. You've met the challenge now. He'll leave you alone, I think.
You should try wine. It's a bit of an acquired taste, perhaps. But some wines can be quite good.

Or not. As you wish.

11/26/2005 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

The main reason I never drank is that our religion forbids it, but I also watched people drink around me, and then try to drive - that convinced me to never touch the stuff. I was only about 13 when I saw my best friend's parents argue and drive while drinking, and it was frightening. They were so cruel to one another. I was glad my religion forbid it.

11/27/2005 09:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't drink either :) And guess what! When I was reading about that man who wanted to make you drink, I thought of some of my buddies, whose "objective" is to make me get drunked :S LOL I mean, come on, I love me too much to attack it with alcohol, or drugs or whatever. I've drunk alcohol sometimes, and as you said, I don't like the taste either. Cause the alcohol makes a sweet drink become weird, and I really prefer to drink a sweet juice, or a soda, rather than an alcoholic drink, which apart from making you drunk and damaging your body, is less tasty :S

11/28/2005 07:17:00 AM  
Blogger Larry Clayton said...

Well you did exactly right, Paul. You told him very clearly, and tactfully, that what he was trying to do was stupid.

It's time for general confession here: My Dad hated liquor with a passion. I started drinking after several months in the Merchant Marine, did a lot of it.

On day the purser, the worst wino I had ever seen, came into the saloon (that's what we called the officers' mess) and said, "Sparks, you're a nice kid, but you're sure gettig to be a wino." I thought OMG, look who's talking.

But I got off that ship and did a bit better in the following years.

One day Dad and I were on Canal St. (N.O.) when a drunk sailor staggered down the street. He expressed great depreciation. It hurt me.

When I "got the call", I felt strongly that the best thing I could do for the Lord was to habituate the bars. But I was chicken and fled into the seminary.

Eventually I spent 10 years tying to help alcoholic probationers stay sober.

Well thanks for letting me go on like those; I hope you don't mind.

Now I drink a beer (maybe) when the boys come home. But I get nothing out of it. Like you I don't like the taste. Wine doesn't help my stomach at all; it hurts it.

I do wish no one would drink; I believe it would help the poor devils who are trapped to get free.

11/28/2005 03:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home