Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Summer Vacation

This past August Julie and I flew to Buffalo, NY, to visit my youngest sister. As we planned the trip we discussed some options and made a few plans. I tend to have a need for more solitude than many people so I warned my sister that Julie and I may take a couple days to ourselves and take a short two day trip on our own. It never happened.

When we arrived my brother-in-law, Leon, had a calendar. Only two days out of fourteen were free days and in the end these weren't free. As my sister would say, "We had a blast!"

What did we do?
  • After getting unlost on country roads accidentally found the farm and picked blue berries until it rained
  • Walked up the stream in Zoar Valley
  • Rode a Maid of the Mist to the base of Niagara Falls
  • Crossed into Canada to have ice cream in Niagara-on-the-Lake
  • Toured gardens in an historic part of Buffalo during the annual garden tour
  • Visited cousins and an aunt who recently celebrated her 88th birthday
  • Stayed two nights in a bed and breakfast outside Algonquin Provincial Park
  • Enjoyed the lakes and history of Algonquin Provincial Park
  • Stopped in Toronto to experience the city under the city
  • Camped in Watkins Glen
  • Saw waterfalls in the gorges of Ithaca
  • Visited a children's garden during their annual festival
  • Canoed a section of the river in Buffalo
  • Swam in Lake Erie
  • Bicycled along the Niagara River
  • Laughed and talked and ate too much and enjoyed the rain, lots of rain
After Julie and I got home I phone my sister and she said something to the effect that she and Leon experienced a quiet empty house after we left. I know what she meant. We missed their company also.

Julie and Gale.
Julie and Gale as we rode along the Niagara River.


Julie colling off.
Julie cooling off before we stopped for more ice cream.

Hopefully, over the next week I'll write about a few of our experiences and include some photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home