Sunday, June 10, 2007

Work

Only 4 posts in the last 108 days and not a single post in 62 days! My life has been busy – perhaps too busy – in good ways.

I finished the master gardener classes (15 weeks / 45 hours total), passed the exam and am 50 hours of volunteer work away from the official certification. The title and certification aren’t important but the experience is in multiple ways so I’ll complete the hours. I’ve found a project that involves removing a few yards of old concrete, filling the area with soil and landscaping the back yard of an older house that serves as an office on the University campus.

The Men’s Group is on break for the summer. We met each Wednesday evening and discussed some subject pertinent to our experiences as men. In various ways we are a diverse group but we bonded and I look forward to the group commencing again in the fall.

Work at the University has become the most hectic that it’s been in 5 years. I applied for and was selected for a senior technical position – a new position with some title that eludes me. Basically, it means more money for doing the same work. Several people have left for other jobs and one retired so I’ve tried to work more efficiently to help fill the gap. A little over a year ago, I had 75 assignments but still found time to read a few blogs while at work. That’s no longer possible.

Homesteading is lots of fun and lots of work! Since my last post, I’ve installed a dual-flush toilet, built shelves in a storage building, enlarged a patio, built a roof over the deck that we added last summer, built functional shutters for the east and west windows, bought enough glass for a 40-feet wall in the greenhouse, ordered 12 yards of gravel, begun digging the foundation for the greenhouse, built screens to block the early morning and late evening sun on the deck and finished a few other smaller projects. I’ve checked on two 2500 gallons cisterns and am seriously considering trying to get them installed before the monsoons begin.

Currently, I’ve been on vacation for the last week and a half. I’m taking six and a half weeks off – the longest break from work that I’ve had in 45 years.

I hope, plan and intend to write a few more posts this week. I have news about rattlesnakes, birds, lizards, a hike into the Grand Canyon and Julie’s first helicopter ride,

Life is busy. Life is good!

2 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Good to see you, Paul. Pull up a chair and stay a spell. We've missed you.

6/10/2007 06:32:00 AM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

How DARE you live such a rich, full life at the expense of your blog! So glad to see you back, Paul......what Buffalo said......grin.

6/11/2007 05:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home