Monday, May 22, 2006

26 Days

Yesterday, at a family gathering, Julie came to me and said “The rumor is that you’re an atheist.” I wonder what I said to get that started. I don’t wonder why I’m not going to clarify, deny, confirm or put an end to it.

Julie and I are in Texas visiting her family. I didn’t want her to make the trip alone and I need to continue working so I arranged to work remotely. Today I worked eleven and one-half hours. My co-worker with cancer has begun chemo and radiation therapy and I’ve picked up several of his tasks. I have some tasks that are six weeks past due. We’re in the midst of a major upgrade that’s scheduled for completion in October. That deadline is beginning to look a little questionable.

In the 26 days since my last post I’ve completed a beekeeping class, finished the construction on the deck, encountered the first rattlesnake of the season, gathered some materials for a solar hot water heater and solar oven, designed awnings and shutters for the house, created a circle drive around the cistern and taught Julie – at her request -- how to hook the water trailer and haul water, received the infrared thermometer that I ordered weeks ago, toured a permaculture farm, completed some smaller sustainability tasks and added a small constructed wetland to my list of summer projects.

Two other events of great pleasure were attending a couples’ communication workshop with Julie and meeting fellow blogger Anvilcloud and his wife during their trip to Arizona.

I seem to have found a new sense of purpose in life. More about that later.

I’ve missed writing and reading your posts and hope to respond to your emails this week

Best wishes to everyone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

So glad to have you back, guy! Atheist, huh? That's halarious! I guess someone misconstrued your refusal to suck at the teat of dogma as not believing in a higher power. If there's one thing I know about you, is that you haven't allowed your faith that something good is out there to be destroyed by the sad fact that something bad keeps trying to translate the mystery for us, namely organized religeon. Just assure them that just because God didn't personally assign you to speak for him/her/it doesn't mean you're some kind of godless heathen.

I see you HAVE been busy! Forget about retirement, friend, you'll never have time for it! lol

Tell Julie Hello for me.

5/23/2006 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

Have missed reading you, my friend.

5/23/2006 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have to confess I have checked for updates almost every day.

5/24/2006 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger MojoMan said...

Regarding the atheism: Take the fifth!

5/25/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

So you met "the drip" and "cuppa" in person--so neat! Aren't they fabulous people? (I love their blogs.)

I can't believe all you've accomplished in those 26 days. I'm constantly burning candles at both ends, because I never have enough time to either start, work on, or finish everything I want to get done, but you set a "marathon" record. And the odds are, you'll just keep running.

5/25/2006 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger Darius said...

I'm not sure these labels always have as much meaning as we think. For example, Buddhists could be described as atheists. Yet a good Buddhist seems to me infinitely more righteous than anyone who kills, or even speaks hateful words, in the name of God. (No, I'm not a Buddhist!)

5/31/2006 07:08:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

Missed you too; be well.

Re: the atheism; why should it matter?

6/09/2006 07:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home