Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Soapy Toes

It was our last night and the weather was perfect. Snow, rain and strong winds made Mojave less than perfect. Wind and rain accompanied us to Joshua Tree. This night, however, was perfect. We sat facing west as the sun dropped into the Big Maria Mountains Wilderness. Stars began to fill the sky and gave it a memorable beauty as a lone bat worked the area above us. The breeze was so gentle that it was barely perceptible and light fleece jackets tempered the evening chill. With head lamps we were reading in a desert of quiet and solitude. Julie heated a pot of water for tea. The only thing that would have made the evening better was a warm shower to remove two days of dust and that sticky feeling that’s a part of spending sunny days in warm temperatures.

As Julie prepared for bed I made sure things were stowed in preparation for wind and visiting night creatures. A few moments later, as I brushed my teeth I saw the empty pot that had been used to heat water for tea and used it for a drink.

Me: “This water tastes strange.”

Julie: “Did you rinse the pot?”

Me: “No, why?”

Julie: “I washed my feet in it.”


The memory was vague, but I had this vision of Julie’s toes in a small pot of soapy water as I stowed things for the night.

A beautiful night further enhanced by a pleasant memory of soapy toes, strange tasting water, and the one I love.

Life is good!

9 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Welcome back, guys! Yep, the dirt and grit of wilderness is a joy to shower off, almost as much joy you get in attaining it. Most of the grit I wash off these days comes from my own sandy acre.

3/28/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

There is something incredibly beautiful about this post. I envy you.

3/29/2006 07:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

LOL I had to let out a loud laugh here at work as I read this.

Ah the fun you two have together! What a happy life!

3/29/2006 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger Lucindyl said...

True love!

3/30/2006 04:59:00 PM  
Blogger anonymous julie said...

This made me smile - thank you.

Glad to see you back!

3/31/2006 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Another way of washing your mouth out with soap........

4/01/2006 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Paul-

What a delightful soapy toes tale, you made our morning as we sit here drinking coffee and checking in on folks.

4/02/2006 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

This post made me laugh out loud. Thank you for sharing that warm moment.

4/02/2006 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger graceonline said...

I've just read several of your posts and my heart is warm through to my skin on back and front. Now I've laughed out loud.

Thank you!

7/27/2006 11:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home