Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rescue

Maggie, one of our cats, was sitting in the yard batting at something. I started toward her to identify her victim. If it was a mouse it was fair game; if it was a horned lizard then I would rescue it. As I crossed the yard I noticed Maggie jump back in a defensive move. What was she tormenting? A young rattlesnake! Dumb cat!

Young snake.
The young snake I rescued from Maggie.


Maggie wasn't in near the danger that confronted the snake. It was so young that I doubt it's fangs were long enough to penetrate the depth of her hair and break her skin. I took Maggie to the house, got a cardboard box and placed the snake it in to move it to a safe location. As soon as Maggie was freed from the house she went back to the original location of the snake to resume her game.

A few weeks ago Maggie, our second cat, disappeared for a day. When she came home she was lethargic and wouldn't eat. As we checked her for injuries or wounds she reacted with pain when we touched her left rear leg. The only sign of an injury was one small puncture. We don't know what injured her but I suspected a snake.

Some days I think cats are more trouble and expense than they are worth. Then the evening comes and they climb in our laps and purr and beg forgiveness for the day's transgressions and we get all warm and fuzzy. Dumb humans!

3 Comments:

Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

Dumb indeed!

9/24/2011 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Cats do seem to have us where they want us. :)

9/24/2011 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

I doubt I will ever be able to overcome my emotional reaction to snakes.

9/24/2011 09:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home